Streaming BBC radio and disabling ATS

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

creepyTowel

Streaming BBC radio and disabling ATS

Post by creepyTowel » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi everyone

After faffing around for ages trying to work out why I couldn't stream any BBC content any more from within my app, I finally realised I have to build the app with the option to "disable ATS".

My understanding is that Apple are likely to require ATS to be enabled for all new apps at some time in the future. Isn't this going to kill the playing non-encrypted media streams, such as the BBC ones? Or is there a workaround?

Cheers

Peter.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Streaming BBC radio and disabling ATS

Post by jacque » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm

I don't see how they could possibly require ATS. Half the internet would break.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Neurox66
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Streaming BBC radio and disabling ATS

Post by Neurox66 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:50 am

Hi,
ATS = App Transport Security
Apple announced that ATS will be REQUIRED of all apps as of January 2017.
This also means the exceptions that currently exist will no longer exist. You must pay extra for https that those domains
will no longer be accessable in iOS.

Could possibly or not could possibly, Apple says...
App Transport Security

App Transport Security (ATS) enforces best practices in the secure connections between an app and its back end. ATS prevents accidental disclosure, provides secure default behavior, and is easy to adopt; it is also on by default in iOS 9 and OS X v10.11. You should adopt ATS as soon as possible, regardless of whether you’re creating a new app or updating an existing one.

If you’re developing a new app, you should use HTTPS exclusively. If you have an existing app, you should use HTTPS as much as you can right now, and create a plan for migrating the rest of your app as soon as possible. In addition, your communication through higher-level APIs needs to be encrypted using TLS version 1.2 with forward secrecy. If you try to make a connection that doesn't follow this requirement, an error is thrown. If your app needs to make a request to an insecure domain, you have to specify this domain in your app's Info.plist file.
Paolo
Paolo Borzini | paolo@borzini.it
The WhiteFly Software | www.thewhitefly.it
Service on line for printers | www.4pellicole.it

Return to “iOS Deployment”