Bluetooth

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kodagames

Bluetooth

Post by kodagames » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:31 am

Hello,

Does LiveCode have support for Blueooth? (for IOS or Android)

The reason I ask is because I use arduino and I need a way to create a bluetooth connection between arduino (hc-05 module) and a IOS app (hopefully created with LiveCode) to control motors, lights etc..

I'm currently using appinventor to connect android apps via bluetooh to arduino which is amazingly simple and was curious if LiveCode could do the same thing for me for IOS apps?

If it could do this for android as well that would be great, because I would then only need one development platform (LiveCode) but if not then Im at least really hoping IOS is supported? I haven't found much on the topic except there was a crowd-funding initiative that didn't get off the ground in 2012.

Sincerely,
Michael

Nakia

Re: Bluetooth

Post by Nakia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:17 am

Hi Michael,

LiveCode doesn't currently support bluetooth communication as such for communicating with the Arduino systems. Monte (mergExternals) may be working on an BLE External for iOS in the future but there is no release date for this that I am yet aware of.

However, being a fellow Arduino and Pi enthusiast there are other ways to communicate with certain boards.

The Arduino Yun for example can be communicated with over a REST API for example (so too can the Pi)...
Below is a video of a project I am currently working on where I have an LiveCode made App talking to an Arduino Yun which is then controlling an electric 'trolling' motor on my fishing boat. Long term goal with this project is an autopilot that will navigate the boat along a path a drive down first (plus a few other features)...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/094x1eiinkkhwb2/IMG_0050.MOV

The Yun SDK comes with a good example of how to create the REST API and there are many examples of how to get LiveCode to communicate with the API.

The one advantage with this is that it works on any platform really...

kodagames

Post by kodagames » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Nakia,

Thats very IMPRESSIVE nice work!

I noticed its wifi, so Im guessing the Yun has its own wifi and the phone is able to make a connection to that and communicate. The examples for Yun are plenty which is really nice as well and I thank you for being kind enough to share the links.

I'm thinking the downside to using Arduino Yun is its expensive and Im not sure how I would shinkify the project once complete. Looking at the cheapest wifi modules it brings the cost immediately to around $25 usd at the start which is too expensive for me to produce something.

The other option I found is Bluetooth Modules which cost around $3 usd but I guess I have to deal with the headache creating separate apps and phone type compatibilities....

I wish wifi modules were cheaper, I love the idea of it being able to work on any platform. Maybe I'm just missing a secret recipe that makes all of this stuff easy across all platforms thats affordable.

Thank you Very Much Nakia I really do appreciate the links and ideas. I'll look into the Monte (mergExternals) and see what I can find out because I have the android part solved I just need to figure out IOS for smart devices.

Sincerely,
Michael

Nakia

Post by Nakia » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi MIchael,

The Arduino Yun comes with the WIFI all built in (Both capabilities for AP and Client mode operations) which removes the need for buying any external modules for it. The cost of the Yun is indeed more than the other Arduino Modules but if you look around they can be had for around $60.00 USD. If you wish to go cheaper you can look at the Pi...

In terms of shrinkifying the final project I cant really comment as I am not aware of your final goal.

Good luck with your project...

kodagames

Post by kodagames » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi Nakia,

I'll be creating small RC aircrafts and other products that Id like to take to market as commercial products so using the Yun or others to prototype is fine, but in the end I have to figure out solutions to make the components much smaller and cheaper which is why Im choosing bluetooth. I thought of RF modules but I also need the use of smartphones. So its a but tricky... but Im getting there and I really appreciate the feedback.

Im going to start digging through the Bluetooth Developers Portal page I just found from apple, they have a Bluetooth Application Accelerator (Id post the link but I dont have permission to post page references in this forum yet).

Nakia

Post by Nakia » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02 am

Ah very interesting...

I am too a keen model aircraft enthusiast, been flying them since I was 8 years old.
Mainly fly scale aerobatics, the website for our association for below..

www.scaleaeros.com.au

Good luck with your project

kodagames

Post by kodagames » Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 am

Very nice aircrafts! and website.

I think if I was in that price range there would be no problem implementing something a little more expensive which would be a much easier task but Im getting there and I'll keep plugging along :D

Really love the look of those airplanes and can only imagine what they could do with a touch user interface... totally awesome!

Good luck with this years championship and Thanks again.

Return to “iOS Deployment”