MobGuy

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Mag
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

MobGuy

Post by Mag » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi all,

From my first steps with LiveCode one of the biggest reasons of frustration for me was MobGuy. Complex to use, non-intuitive and (in my personal experience) totally unstable, what's more it tries, almost unsuccessfully, to creates UI elements that rarely you see in good iOS apps (for example the standard status bar). In addition, works by installing code alien in your stack.

This would not be a problem at all, if you're not comfortable with a third party tool just let it go. But the whole LiveCode world, from books, to LiveCode documentation, RunRev's advertising materials, push to use this tool, portraying it as indispensable. But this tool was updated for the last time, from what I see on their website, in 2011, the pervasive presence of MobGuy is something of update or it is just old material that is still spinning?

The Newsletter about Summer School of RunRev even says:
Painless Mobile pixel perfect UI's - do not reinvent the wheel.
Do not reinvent the wheel? Hey, if I have to reinvent the wheel about everyday is because LiveCode in 2013 don't handle in a decent way native basic controls like fields, buttons and so on... not because I haven't MobGuy! :)

Please tell me if I'm wrong. Maybe there's something I did not understand. I would love to hear your views...

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: MobGuy

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi,

Why do you call MobGUI unstable? Have you tried it? I know that problems may arise if you don't use it in exactly the right way, but if you know what you're doing, it should be quite stable. If you encounter any errors or unexpected behaviour, you should post those here, to allow people to come up with solutions.

You don't have to use MobGUI. You can download Photoshop templates, which you can export to separate PNG's. You can use those PNG's to build your own interfaces for iOS.

Another solution might be my iOS GUI Elements. They are a bit complicated to use and not as extensive as MobGUI, but you have complete access to all scripts, which makes it easier to understand and adjust them.

I had the impression that there was a good reason why MobGUI wasn't updated for a while, but I must admit that I'm starting to wonder if it is still supported, now that it hasn't been updated for such a long time. If you want to know for sure, contact the developer and only buy a license if you get a satisfactory reply.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Jellicle

Post by Jellicle » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:34 am

I've found MobGUI to be largely stable but not very intuitive to use. The biggest problem is the support: it's probably the worst I've ever experienced for paid software.

All that said, given that iOS 7 is almost upon us I wouldn't buy any GUI product that doesn't fully support the new design aesthetic.

Gerry
14" MacBook Pro
Former LiveCode developer.
Now recovering.

colourpixels

Post by colourpixels » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:55 am

This might be another option:
http://tmtools.tactilemedia.com

I'm not affiliated in any way.

Return to “iOS Deployment”