LiveCode 5.0 Released

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

BarrySumpter

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Post by BarrySumpter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:37 am

LOL
You should post what you really think.
And not be shy about it.
LOL

It must be so comforting to be so sure.

Lets see what cross platform livecode apps you've written in the last 5 years.
How much you've made off them.
How much you've spent on LiveCode upgrades, etc.
Now who's the mug.
All my best,
Barry G. Sumpter

Deving on WinXP sp3-32 bit. LC 5.5 Professional Build 1477
Android/iOS/Server Add Ons. OmegaBundle 2011 value ROCKS!
2 HTC HD2 Latest DorimanX Roms
Might have to reconsider LiveCode iOS Developer Program.

jharris

Post by jharris » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:17 pm

seaniepie wrote:
Yeah, that's fine if you ONLY want to develop for Android. But that's a mugs game! Today you HAVE to cross develop if you are serious about it. And LiveCode is the only TRUE solution to this conundrum. I started using RunRev back about 5 years ago. Then the price point was 4 times as much as now. So think yourselves lucky. For me, they've priced me back into the market.

Pi
Please take no offense, but why do I HAVE to cross develop to be serious about it?

At this time I only want to develop for Android only. I don't want to put any apps in any market. I want to develop Android apps for existing clients, who use Android only. I see this as a guaranteed source of revenue for my work, not maybe someone will send me $1.99 for my app from the market.

I think I paid $299.00 for LiveCode iOS/Android. When I was comparing LiveCode Mobile to Basic4Android, I thought I would put my money into LiveCode since I purchased the bundle. If I had known at the time I would end up with a half baked version, I would have put my money into Basic4Android... $99.00, 2 years of updates and I could have already been working on an Android app. Instead, I have been waiting on RunRev to get Android ready for developers to use. Just to find out that they want me to pay $149.00 to get a little more. As of version 4.6.4 I feel LiveCode for Android is still a long ways from being ready to develop with and I don't plan on forking over $149.00 every six months until it is ready.

I tested Basic4Android, it seemed to be a complete development package for Android. It has a very active developers forum and it is very affordable. Sorry to slam RunRev, but I am tired of waiting and don't have any desire to pay more upgrade fees.

jharris
Operating System: macOS Monterey Version 12.5
LiveCode Version: 9.6.8

uabclst

Post by uabclst » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Heather (or anyone),

Has the WebPlayer plugin been upgraded in LiveCode5?

Thanks

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi uabclst,
uabclst wrote:Has the WebPlayer plugin been upgraded in LiveCode5?
unfortunately not, "Mobile" has TOP priority currently in Scotland :?

Best

Klaus

uabclst

Post by uabclst » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Well, I'm not gonna spend a single penny on LiveCode products until that's done!

The WebPlayer hasn't worked since more than a year ago (file open/save causes the plugin to crash).
I think it's next to fraud to market the Web product when it doesn't work. I'm really disappointed as I bought LiveCode to develop for the web.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Android developers who don't want to upgrade right now don't have to. The version you're using now will never expire and you can continue to work with it forever. If Android is your only market, I'd suggest waiting a little longer and upgrading when the features you want are available.

Now that iOS is pretty well addressed, Android is next on the list. I don't have a timeline -- I don't know it, and I couldn't say even if I did -- but I do know that RR is basing their development efforts on the results of a user survey that strongly indicated that most of the customer base wanted iOS first. The next step is Android, and in fact 5.0 does implement some features that start to bring it into parity. Incremental 5.0 releases will improve that. I'm sure it won't be much longer because I know they are working on it right now.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:06 pm

jharris- I haven't played around much with it yet (just installed it yesterday) but check out http://www.rhomobile.com for an Android ide based on Eclipse.

jharris

Post by jharris » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for posting that link mwieder.

I just finished downloading it and will try it out over the weekend.
It sure looks interesting.

jharris

BarrySumpter

Post by BarrySumpter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:57 pm

jharris wrote:
... but why do I HAVE to cross develop to be serious about it?

... I would have put my money into Basic4Android... $99.00, 2 years of updates and I could have already been working on an Android app.

Instead, I have been waiting on RunRev to get Android ready for developers to use. Just to find out that they want me to pay $149.00 to get a little more. As of version 4.6.4 I feel LiveCode for Android is still a long ways from being ready to develop with and I don't plan on forking over $149.00 every six months until it is ready.

I tested Basic4Android, it seemed to be a complete development package for Android. It has a very active developers forum and it is very affordable. Sorry to slam RunRev, but I am tired of waiting and don't have any desire to pay more upgrade fees.

jharris
Agree 100%.
And written much better than I ever could have.

I've already developed two propriatary Android apps for my clients.
Both of which I felt could have been better with just the basic Android features missing from LiveCode.

I posted a hyperlink to a 50% off coupon for Basic4Android.

I've written before that RunRev have a very limited development target.
i.e. if iOS doesn't already do it, we ain't developing it.
And if we get the time we might add some iOS development to Android.
So any purchase of upgrade will be for iOS development.

There was sooo much more value to the OmegaBundle than LiveCode.
So I'm still very happy with my OmegaBundle purchase.

I won't be upgrading hoping RunRev will develop for Android.
The only upgrade I'll be purchasing is an Android version that has been tested by me and proven by me that contains the features I'm after.

Probably by the time these features in LiveCode for Android have been developed by RunRev and published,
I'll have already sorted out Basic4Android.
All my best,
Barry G. Sumpter

BarrySumpter

Post by BarrySumpter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:11 pm

mwieder wrote:jharris- I haven't played around much with it yet (just installed it yesterday) but check out http://www.rhomobile.com for an Android ide based on Eclipse.

LOL
Just had a quick look.
Begining of first two webinars show DOS command window.
LOL

Not a good look at all.

Forget it.
All my best,
Barry G. Sumpter

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 am

...and this coming from someone who likes IIS? <g>

Yeah - if we could use LC as a frontend to generate files for rhomobile then I think we'd have a winner. Lemme think about that one.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:48 am

Hi,

The solution is pretty simple. Always always always ask a trial version before you buy. Don't buy anything based on features promised in the future. Always make your decision whether to buy LiveCode or not based on the current quality of the current feature set. This is why I haven't bought any subscription services from RunRev. Also, they could cancel a product, or release a new update, the day and after your subscription expires, leaving you with empty hands even though you honestly believe you paid for it.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

BarrySumpter

Post by BarrySumpter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:03 pm

LOL.
Perfect 20/20 hindsight.

b4a is as different from LiveCode as LIveCode is from VB.

b4a uses the emulator for laying out controls.

But b4a can debug not only via the emulator but also via the actual device. Cool.

The IDE scripting editor in b4a is much better than LiveCode.

AutoComplete, BluTooth, smooth scrolling, Voice Recognition, etc.

So, yes, it was correct when someone wrote it's a whole new learning curve.

But, again, I'm writing proprietary software and NOT for the market.

Still interested in seeing what the next version of LiveCode for Android has to offer.
All my best,
Barry G. Sumpter

jharris

Post by jharris » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:14 pm

I agree Barry...

I haven't purchased B4A yet, but I will purchase it before I upgrade my LiveCode Android package.
If I wasn't obligated to another project at this time, I would have already purchased it. I am still a little
irritated over the whole experience.

jharris

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 pm

seaniepie,

I don't agree with you about LiveCode being the only true cross-platform solution. With regard to mobile devices, LiveCode isn't cross-platform at all. It works more or less acceptably on iOS, but it lacks many features and isn't always as stable and quick as I'd wish. A very basic version of LiveCode for Android is available, but I think many people would consider it a beta version. LiveCode for Windows Phone is non-existent, despite the rumours about an alpha version (I think that was for Windows Mobile). There is no sign of LiveCode for Symbian and Blackberry. If you're looking for a true cross-platform solution, try PhoneGap or Corona.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Announcements”