Announcing Xavvi, a Great Leap Forward for App Building

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

PaulDaMacMan

Re: Announcing Xavvi, a Great Leap Forward for App Building

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:49 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:42 am
Mariasole wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:29 am
I just read that Xavvi will be called LiveCode Create. I'm glad!
The days of low-hanging fruit of HC refugees are long gone. Few companies can enjoy the bump MC/LC got from HC's demise. But that was a long time ago. These days they're on the same footing as every other company. Time to market like other companies.
There's still some HyperCard, and more recently Toolbook, SuperCard, etc. and LCC refugees around, as well as some new 'Retro' users, which I don't fully understand but they're there, look on Itch.io and the HyperCard Discoord
But I'd agree that it's probably, not enough to warrant factoring into a business plan. Maybe it never was?
I'm not sure LiveCode was ever that good of a name because it was already in use in reference to Realtime Multimedia Coding, but it does seems absurd to abandon the LC name after some significant effort was put into that branding. The social media network formerly known as Twitter comes to mind.

Interestingly I recently noticed that a new company now has the name & domain "Runtime-Revolution".
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

M-A Kuttner

Post by M-A Kuttner » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:23 pm

Hi all. I got the update announcing the LiveCode Create First Backers Preview. Is that something open to all backers, or just a certain tier? I backed at entry level, so I'm wondering if there's a way I can get my hands on it to take a spin.

Cheers
M-A
Hypertalk developer on and off since the days of SuperCard. Currently using LC to do rapid prototyping for a new kids' toy.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:28 pm

M-A Kuttner wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:23 pm
Hi all. I got the update announcing the LiveCode Create First Backers Preview. Is that something open to all backers, or just a certain tier? I backed at entry level, so I'm wondering if there's a way I can get my hands on it to take a spin.
I'd think you should be eligible. I got an email with a link, did you get that? If not, you could ask support if you can try it, they're usually pretty accommodating. If you did get the link then use your regular LC account login to join.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

M-A Kuttner

Post by M-A Kuttner » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:38 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
Hypertalk developer on and off since the days of SuperCard. Currently using LC to do rapid prototyping for a new kids' toy.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:16 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
And did you? And were you impressed?

M-A Kuttner

Post by M-A Kuttner » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:17 pm

I did! And... I need to run it on my PC. I ran it on my Macbook, which is old and ran it sluggishly. Overall, the web interface took some getting used to (which wasn't helped by my machine). I'm looking forward to more of the AI coding integration, as I'm hoping it will help me with some data sorting things I'm trying to do that are tedious and which I'm having trouble wrapping my head around.

I've been using the Windows or Mac app for a number of years, so the multi-windowed interface paradigm is soundly ingrained within my head. So, doing everything inside the browser felt a bit crowded. I'm looking forward to seeing the upcoming iterations.

M-A Kuttner

Post by M-A Kuttner » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:42 pm

As a followup to this message, I finally tried it on my PC, with a faster chip, more RAM, and a 28", 2K screen. The larger screen makes all the difference in evaluating the interface. As a web based tool goes, I think it's well organized and easy to navigate. I appreciate that I was able to reduce the size of the toolbar icons. Drag and drop works well, and the dual pane view for the visual editor / code window is also sensible.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up. I understand why the priority is given to a browser based editor, but if given the choice I'm going to be using the application for the foreseeable future. Again, I'm looking forward to previewing the AI scripting tools at some point. Or do I need to pay the $99 to do that?

Cheers

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:39 pm

M-A Kuttner wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:42 pm
I understand why the priority is given to a browser based editor, but if given the choice I'm going to be using the application for the foreseeable future.
Same.

Multiplatform desktop apps is where LC shines the brightest, and almost nothing else comes even close. It may be a niche, but one they can own.

As a web app, even if the considerable hard and opportunity costs eventually yield a solid workflow, it's in a very crowded field where the big players have Series A rounds north of $100 mil - marketing behemoths who in just a few years have already firmly entrenched themselves.

The moment desktop deployment becomes second fiddle is when I'll need to move on. Web tech is cheap and plentiful, but I have only one way to cost-effectively deliver desktop apps to my customers.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

M-A Kuttner

Post by M-A Kuttner » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:36 pm

The moment desktop deployment becomes second fiddle is when I'll need to move on. Web tech is cheap and plentiful, but I have only one way to cost-effectively deliver desktop apps to my customers.
Yeah, it would be a shame to not be able to deliver actual device resident application software. What I'm working on right now wouldn't work well at all if it were running off a web server.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:41 pm

There is an alternative in development.

HOWEVER, sometime back, LC claimed that "Xavvi" would be developed alongside LC, not in an attempt to displace it . . .

Of course if LC 10 is to deliver everything inside a web-browser then that could prove problematic.

M-A Kuttner

Post by M-A Kuttner » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:37 pm

Good to know, thanks!

Return to “Announcements”