New version 5.5 announced - free or fee?

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

karmacomposer

New version 5.5 announced - free or fee?

Post by karmacomposer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Here we go again.

Seems like last month I outlaid a small bundle to upgrade to 5 and eventually upgrade all deployment options one way or another.

Now 5.5 is announced. Is this a free update or do we have to pay for it? I just want to remind runrev that there has been no updates of any kind unless you spend the money to be on the beta program. Spend. Spend. Spend.

I'm getting tired of spending for a language I have yet to make anything substantial in yet. It's like a house you keep fixing up hoping the value will increase. Instead, it's a money pit!

I really hope this one is at no additional cost to 5.0 users since its reprehensible to charge. For bug fixes!!!!

Mike

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: New version 5.5 announced - free or fee?

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Actually, 5.5 isn't final yet, it was only the first developer preview that was announced to members of the developer program. There are usually several developer previews before the final release is made public. Version 5.5 is still very early in the game and not ready for public consumption yet.

I don't know what the pricing schedule will be when 5.5 is actually made final, but support would know. They are usually pretty fair about updates for recent purchases, so I'd suggest writing them.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

ludo

Post by ludo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello,

I've upgraded my 4.6 version to 5 with this offer. I've "bought" the free trial of the Livecode developer program.
I want to test the 5.5, so i launch Livecode 5.02, i have a message that tell me there are an upgrade, and i've the choice between "Remind me later", "Skip.." and "Buy now".

And "Buy now" send me to the run rev store to bought the full version of the developer program.

So, how get the preview of the 5.5 ?

Thanks

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Members of the Developer Program were sent instructions for downloading v5.5dp via the Developer List.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

ludo

Post by ludo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 pm

FourthWorld wrote:Members of the Developer Program were sent instructions for downloading v5.5dp via the Developer List.
Thanks.
I've tried to subscribe to the developer list but for now i've no "approval" from an administrator... :?

gpb01

Post by gpb01 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:52 pm

ludo wrote:
FourthWorld wrote:Members of the Developer Program were sent instructions for downloading v5.5dp via the Developer List.
Thanks.
I've tried to subscribe to the developer list but for now i've no "approval" from an administrator... :?
You can't just subscribe to the list, you must be member of the Developer Program (http://www.runrev.com/store/product/liv ... r-program/) ...

Guglielmo

ludo

Post by ludo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:39 pm

gpb01 wrote:
ludo wrote:
Thanks.
You can't just subscribe to the list, you must be member of the Developer Program (http://www.runrev.com/store/product/liv ... r-program/) ...

Guglielmo
Yes, but actually there is an offer : if you upgrade your version of live code to the last one (5), you get 3 month free of the livecode developer program.

gpb01

Post by gpb01 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:00 pm

ludo wrote: Yes, but actually there is an offer : if you upgrade your version of live code to the last one (5), you get 3 month free of the livecode developer program.
In this case ... write to the RunRev support ... ;)

Guglielmo

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:35 am

Hi,

I got those instructions too. I received an e-mail from RunRev telling me to read the developer list and to download LC 5.5. I replied asking for login data. RunRev replied that I can buy access to the developer list (which I will not do because I'm not going to pay for information that should be available to all customers) and they explained that all subscribers to the game academy received the e-mail.

I didn't subscribe to something called a game academy and as I understand it the people who did subscribe to the game academy have no access to the developer list either. I think that someone at RunRev made a mistake and I'm quite confused.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

ludo

Post by ludo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:15 am

Hello,

This morning, the dp 5.5 is in "my products" in the runrev/store.

But for now, no access to the dev mailing list.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 am

Interesting, Ludo. How did you get to the dp without being a member of the developer program?

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

gpb01

Post by gpb01 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Mark wrote:Interesting, Ludo. How did you get to the dp without being a member of the developer program?
Mark
Mark,
he said "... if you upgrade your version of live code to the last one (5), you get 3 month free of the livecode developer program." so he is, for three month, into the program ... free of charge ;)

Guglielmo

jharris

Post by jharris » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:06 pm

I got the same email. Not sure I am interested in the offer though. The last pre-release with the promise of the first full release (Android Mobile) left me with nothing more than a big hole in my wallet.
I think 5.5 will have new options I am interested in, but I think I will wait until it is out before I fork over any money.
Operating System: macOS Monterey Version 12.5
LiveCode Version: 9.6.8

paul_gr

Post by paul_gr » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm

When you purchase an ordinary upgrade, you get up to the next point release; something not clear the last time I upgraded.
I'm assuming that this LC 5 offer includes 5.5 that would take it past a point release and end the upgrade cycle.
To confuse the whole upgrade thing, purchase the whole package and you get a full year of updates.
It would be less confusing if all Livecode updates lasted for one year.

cheers
Paul

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks, Guglielmo. I guess that's a special temporary offer?

Mark

Return to “Announcements”