scatter chart

Get help and support using chartsEngine for LiveCode.

Moderators: heatherlaine, BvG

mblackman

scatter chart

Post by mblackman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:24 am

Malte

The charting package looks sweet.
You probably have many features planned but I hope you will put near the top of the list a scatter chart, ie the data points without the lines ?
Also
-display point markers in line charts
- ability to display values as you mouseover points
- ability to display some data sets as lines or bars and some as points in the same chart

cheers
Martin

malte

Post by malte » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:01 am

Hi Martin,

thanks for the feedback. Scatter is on the to do list. The tricky part here is to figure out a way to avoid unacceptable rendering times with larger datasets. Same holds true for drawing datapoints on line graphs. It is not too difficult to implement (we know the points already for the line graphs). The difficult part is to only draw the points that "make sense". We had datapoints for line graphs implemented already, but removed it on purpose and postponed this until we can find a way to render them in an acceptable amount of time. I will discuss this with Benedikt and Carsten but before we put it into a shipping version, we must make sure it works reliably.

Display values on mouseOver makes a lot of sense to me, we'll see what we can do about that. I think a bit more of interaction possiblities would suit chartsEngine well. :)

Mixed charttypes is something I am interested in too. Will need to discuss internally how to best implement that. An extension to the data property comes to mind here.

Again, thanks for the feedback, please keep up posting feature requests. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Malte

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:37 pm

malte wrote:Scatter is on the to do list. The tricky part here is to figure out a way to avoid unacceptable rendering times with larger datasets. Same holds true for drawing datapoints on line graphs.
Have you considered the markerPoints and related properties for graphics?

This allows custom shapes to be used to mark polygon vertices, either filled or not filled. Setting the polygon's lineSize to 0 gets you a scatter in a single scalable-resolution object, rendered at well-optimized engine-level speeds.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

malte

Post by malte » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks Richard, markerpoints indeed are a way to go, need to play with the labeling a bit more, as that is what is most time consuming and has the potential to make it all unreadable. I am on it though. :)

Cheers,

Malte

Return to “chartsEngine”