Can I move from Supercard?

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Can I move from Supercard?

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 pm

strongbow wrote:Anyone know what happened to the Supercard -> Rev converter utility? Is that anywhere around still??
I may be able to turn up a copy on one of my older hard drives, but I can't honestly recommend it. Both SC and LC have changed so much in the decade since it was written that there are likely things it won't handle as well today.

But moreover, even at its best it was a suboptimal solution: SC and LC are just different enough that converting code and objects from SC to LC misses many opportunties for more with-the-grain ways of doing things in LC.

Most of the project I've used the converter on may have saved some time in the initial migration of objects, but ultimately cost more time over the subsequent years due to those lost opportunities. Admittedly, these projects may not reflect everyone's experience, since these are substantial commercial apps with ambitious long-term plans implemented over several versions across many years, so they have performance and extensibility requirements that may exceed smaller projects.

Still, these days I strongly recommend to clients that we use SC-based versions only for inspiration for what their next, LC-based, version will become.

This gives us an opportunity to modernize the app design, moving some multi-window designs into a single window with multiple panels for example, while also restructuring the underlying architecture to better factor code, UI, and data in ways that aren't commonly done in SC but which present tremendous advantages when pursued.

Also, one of the benefits of migrating to LC is deployment to platforms beyond OS X, and doing so will often require redesign of things like menus anyway to deliver a native-looking design for each platform.

All in all, while I recognize the seductive appeal of a converter, I can't recommend using one.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

strongbow

Post by strongbow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Richard

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Yes, I know what you mean, I was just wanting to get a bunch of old Supercard projects converted quickly to Rev so that I might be able to adapt or re-use parts of them, particularly as I don't own a current version of SC and my old versions no longer run on OSX... I thought I had a copy of the converter but it doesn't seem to work... so was wondering if anyone actually used this at all these days.

cheers

Alan :-)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:40 pm

I couldn't turn up my copy so I wrote Heather at RunRev this morning, and she kindly turned them up for us in under 15 minutes (impressive turnaround).

I've posted them on the LiveCode Journal site for you:
http://livecodejournal.com/files/SC%20t ... .3.3B8.zip

Heather noted that the SC side of the converter was written for SC 3, so it may not work in the latest version (I believe SC is now up to v4.7).

Let us know how it works out.
Richard Gaskin

strongbow

Post by strongbow » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:14 am

I actually had some copy of the 1.3.3B9 version which unfortunately wouldn't work with v. 4 or 4.7 - it would always crash on a call to the CopyFile XCMD, which no doubt was compiled for the old architecture... haven't yet tried working around that!

Thanks for your help again though!!

cheers

Alan

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:21 am

What is the CopyFile external used for? SC can copy files via read and write - I wonder if you could replace that XCMD with a native call and the rest would magically work. :)
Richard Gaskin

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:58 am

Hi,

SuperCard supports the shell function, just like Revolution. To copy a file, use

Code: Select all

get shell("cp sourcefilepath destinationfilepath")
Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”