Coming from C++ and RealBasic

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

Ernest

Coming from C++ and RealBasic

Post by Ernest » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm new to Revolution and want to share some thoughts. I'm coming from a 24 year background in C/C++ in my job and a bit of experience playing around with RealBasic on the Mac. I just want to share one thing and ask a question:

Coming from RealBasic, I want to suggest that the UI be upgraded to be at least as sweet as RealBasic's. The Revolution UI looks amateurish to me.

Coming from C/C++, where are the elements for creating data structures? The only thing I've seen is basic variables and arrays. I guess I could create something like a structure using an array. Or maybe I just don't have the Revolution way of thinking in my head yet. But it's weird to me not to have something here that is so basic to me in my other programming endeavors.

To finish, I want to say how much I am enjoying Revolution despite the things I said above. I wrote a simple app that I had written in RealBasic and it was SO much easier and faster to do in Rev!

Thanks,

Ernest

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Coming from C++ and RealBasic

Post by mwieder » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:50 am

The Revolution UI looks amateurish to me.
Haha. Well, a lot of us would agree... have you looked into tRev (a revSelect product)?

"Arrays" in rev are what would be called hashes or associative arrays in C++ or other languages. It's only over the last year that we've gotten "real" arrays with numeric keys. They're much more powerful than standard arrays and serve the purpose for me as structs and user-defined types. You *do* have to think about them differently in order to get a grasp of the process, but once you're over that learning curve it's pretty simple.

mhoneywill

Post by mhoneywill » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi,

I've tried looking for tRev and think that it may not be avaliable anymore, does anyone know what happend to it, was it any good?

Cheers

Martin

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

tRev is still around, but it's been renamed Remo and is now OSX-only. If you're on another platform, we've open-sourced the glx2 script editor at http://www.bitbucket.org/mwieder/glx2.

mvreade

Post by mvreade » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 am

Hi Ernest,

Just wondering how you are coming along with LiveCode? I also have some experience with Real Studio, and while I like it a lot, it seems that LiveCode might be a faster coding environment. I also find that Real Studio has some serious flickering issues on Windows, especially if you have some sort of canvas over another canvas. Just too laborious to deal with.

I have a few reasonable large Filemaker database that I would like to migrate to either RunRev or Real Studio, and am just wondering which way to go.

All the best,
Michael

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 am

Michael,

Ernest posted 3 years ago and he never cared to come back and read the answers to his post.

I really can't say that either RealStudio or LiveCode is a faster development environment, but LiveCode seems to be easier to learn for complete beginners.

In my experience, the RealStudio IDE is more solid, but LiveCode is what you want for mobile development. If you have a HyperCard background, then you probably also want to use LiveCode. Today, I was using LiveCode 5.5.3 on Windows 8 and suddenly the entire screen went black and there was no way to quit LiveCode. I had to restart my machine. That has never happened to me with RealStudio. Such problems mostly apply to the IDE. LiveCode Standalone applications are usually very stable.

Which specific features are essential to your project? Do you intend to use MySQL or SQLite or are you thinking of a different way to store your data?

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

mvreade

Post by mvreade » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Mark,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Most of my applications involve databases. I have some standalone apps that (when I using Real Studio), use SQLite. On multi-user apps I user MySQL, though I've been trying to polish my PostgreSQL skills.

To be honest, I haven't found anything that is even vaguely as fast, from the development point-of-view, as Filemaker. It has its own set of problems, though, which I'm sure you well aware of: clients having to buy licenses, lack of separation between data and structure, etc.

The main problems with Real Studio for me are the flickering on Windows. Seems to be no easy way around it. Another is Reports. Again, in Filemaker reports are so easy to make. Finally, I would like the development to be a little faster.

Best,
Michael

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”