Converting from VB6 programming language

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

VB6 Programming

Converting from VB6 programming language

Post by VB6 Programming » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Is there a utility to convert/migrate from VB6 ?

Klaus

Re: Converting from VB6 programming language

Post by Klaus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi VB6 Programming,

welcome to the forum! :D
Is there a utility to convert/migrate from VB6 ?
I don't think there is such an utility, at least I have never heard of one.

Best

Klaus

Lagi Pittas
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Converting from VB6 programming language - YES WE CAN

Post by Lagi Pittas » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi

It's been available for years

https://www.fmpromigrator.com/services/ ... rvice.html

and filemaker and foxpro and php and access .....

Top 10 Features

Conversion of VB6 forms into LiveCode cards, with code added to individual card objects [Uses: LiveCode Commercial Edition].
Processing of a wide variety of BASIC syntax source files from multiple BASIC IDEs.
(Including, but not limited to: Visual Basic, VBScript, VBA, PowerBasic, ZBASIC/FutureBasic and RealBasic.)
Quickly process files within all subdirectories of a selected source directory.
Converted files are saved as .lc files or individual cards within a new LiveCode stack file.
Save many hours of manual retyping, performing the initial code conversion within seconds.
Supported statements include: DIM,LET, FOR/NEXT/LOOP/WHILE, SELECT/CASE, FUNCTION/SUB definitions and many more.
Common functions are remapped into LiveCode code: Trim(),Len(),Exit,Inc/Dec,LCase(),UCase(),XOr and many more
Sub/Functions are converted into LiveCode "on HandlerName/function FunctionName" definitions closed with "end HandlerName/FunctionName"
SELECT CASE code is converted into LiveCode code with "break" statements added to close each CASE block.
Convert older single-platform BASIC code into multi-platform LiveCode projects deployable on desktop, server, web and mobile platforms.

Lagi

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:04 pm

The main "snag" with that is that, first, you have to pay for a Livecode Commercial licence, and then you have to pay for the conversion software.

I don't entirely understand with FmPro Migrator Platinum Edition why it will not work with OS Community LC as well.

paul_gr

Post by paul_gr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:12 pm

VB6 Programming wrote:Is there a utility to convert/migrate from VB6 ?
If you are an experienced Basic user and would rather stay with using Basic, have a look at Basic4Android, now called B4A.
They also make B4i for iOS devices, and B4J (free) can produce compiled apps that can run on Windows, Mac, Linux and ARM boards.

Paul

dsimpson

Post by dsimpson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:49 pm

I have considered a version of the VB6 Conversion feature supporting Community Edition as well as Commercial Edition.

I am waiting for a few items to occur first, during the LiveCode 8 Development cycle:
1) The ability for users to actually see 3rd party products within the LiveCode Extensions Manager window.
2) The capability for users to successfully search the Extensions Store in that window for items they want to find. Imagine that there are thousands of widgets/libraries/extensions, how would anyone be able to scroll thru all of them. It is likely that a VB6 developer could want to type in just those letters "VB6" into a search box to see if there is anything which would help them.
[There is a search feature implemented now, but nothing shows up in the results list for me. And no matter what I search for, I get an answer of: "9 Extensions : Search results for "livecode"]
3) Having the ability to offer monthly pricing as well as a permanent license purchase for Commercial Edition developers. Just like you see being available for LiveCode itself. This would be just as valuable to 3rd party developers as it is for LiveCode itself.
4) Having the ability to Add/Update product info in the 3rd party marketplace store.

I am sure that all of these items will get sorted out in due time. I am willing to be patient as the LiveCode team works on these items.

I am really excited about LiveCode 8, and the new Extensions Store. I think that this is the most exciting release I have ever seen in the 14 years I have been using LiveCode. It really is the LiveCode we have been wanting to use for all these years. And it will only get better as time goes on. It is a great way for LiveCode to leverage the hard work of developers everywhere who can contribute to the success of the product. Just like Apple, and the App store. IOS devices would not be nearly as popular if there wasn't so much 3rd party software available for them. No single company can write every app which is needed for a particular platform.
David Simpson
www.fmpromigrator.com

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:41 pm

B4J (free) . . .

AND, where do I end up? http://b4j.ca/ . . . ROTFL

After a while I got here: http://www.b4x.com/b4j.html
\
And got all excited: "The compiled apps can run on Windows, Mac, Linux and ARM boards (such as Raspberry Pi)."

AND then got all unexcited when I found out that the IDE seems only to run on Windows.

I really wonder, apart from LiveCode and Xojo (the IDE formally known as Prince), if there are any IDEs that run on
the 3 major platforms?

This: "B4J UI apps depend on Java FX. Java FX is part of Java JRE 7 (build 6+)." also seems a negative: whenever
an "app" is dependent on an end-user having to install something that might not be "there" as part of a plain-vanilla
system install, I get uneasy.

dsimpson

Post by dsimpson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Break for Jesus, B4J.ca

As a Christian, it looks like a nice website to me. Though I am not from the Ukraine, I am sure that it is a blessing to Ukrainian Christians in Toronto.

But it looks like you really are looking for the website:

http://www.b4x.com/b4j.html
David Simpson
www.fmpromigrator.com

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 pm

It probably is rather nice for Uniate Ukrainians in Toronto: although I cannot help wondering how many there are over there.

Uniates are a funny bunch as they have combined the Orthodox liturgy, rituals and calendar with an acknowledgement of the Bishop of Rome
as their Patriarch: sort of half Orthodox, half Catholic.

paul_gr

Post by paul_gr » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 pm

richmond62 wrote: AND then got all unexcited when I found out that the IDE seems only to run on Windows.
I mentioned B4A,B4i and B4J (windows only) because the OP was talking about converting from VB6 (Windows only).

Paul

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”