Corona SDK + Titanium mobile user here

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

c0ppo

Corona SDK + Titanium mobile user here

Post by c0ppo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Greetings,

As the title says, I'm a Corona and a Titanium Mobile user.
I just have a few simple questions about livecode that I for some reason couldn't dig out myself :(

1) LiveCode and Networking
Is there a simple way to build a multiplayer based game for iOS/Android using LiveCode? Random matchmaking, cloud storage, etc. And for business apps as well, especially with storing stuff and retriving them from servers. Is there a way? And if there is, could anyone link a article or two? :)

2) Video tutorials/books
I found some, but if anyone could post some more links, I would really appreciate it. I love teaching using videos, and I would hate to see I missed some of quality video tutorials :)

I think I will spend some more time on this forum, since I have a interest in switching to LiveCode. So plz, help a newbie out ;)

P.S.
And sorry if my english skill aren't very good...

dave_probertGA6e24
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Corona SDK + Titanium mobile user here

Post by dave_probertGA6e24 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi c0ppo,

Welcome to the forum and Livecode - I hope you enjoy yourself with it.

I can't really answer part 2 of your questions, but I'm sure that someone will :)

Regarding part 1 though - the answer is yes. Most of what you are after is actually server-side functionality - not really livecode as such. Storing players and matchmaking, etc is something that could be done with PHP/ASP/Other server language and a connected Database (e.g. MySQL). Livecode can easily contact servers (from the Desktop or Mobile platforms) and both send and receive data - it can use a range of data formats from XML, JSON to simple plain text - your choice (though JSON is handled by a 3rd party free library).

I wrote a simple tutorial on the subject of the communication which is Here - though it might be a bit basic if you know your way around server stuff.

The same concept applies for Games or Business applications really.

If you need some specifics then let us know and I'm sure that we can guide you.

Cheers,
Dave
Coding in the Sun - So much Fun.
Visit http://electronic-apps.info for released App information.

c0ppo

Re: Corona SDK + Titanium mobile user here

Post by c0ppo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you very much for your reply. I've spend some time on this forum reading about livecode. I see that there is still no physics engine, but that it's planned. By any chance you know when the box2d will be implemented?

And just tried out your game since it's build using livecode, so I was curious. Nice game dude, it took you just two weeks to build it? Now that's what I call RAD :)

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”