Too many versions?

Want to move your code and projects to LiveCode but don't know where to start?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

jmuelver

Too many versions?

Post by jmuelver » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm

I've got Revolution, Rev Studio, LiveCode 4.6.3, and LiveCode Community 6.0 all on the same (ancient, overloaded, Win XP) computer. What do I really need? Delete everything but LiveCode Community?

andrewferguson
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Too many versions?

Post by andrewferguson » Sun May 05, 2013 5:54 pm

It really depends what you need LiveCode for. If you need all the new features, then the Community Edition will be what you want (as long as you are making in house or open source applications.). If commercial closed source is what you want then you may choose to stick with LiveCode 4.6.3. It is still relatively recent, and as long as you purchased a full perpetual commercial licence when you bought it, you can continue to make closed source apps.
Andrew

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm

LC 4.6.4 is my standard go-to version for working on stacks for distribution, for the simple reason that it supports the legacy stack format natively. With more recent versions I have to remember *not* to save the stack, but to use save-as instead and pick the stack file version explicitly. If you don't have to worry about backward compatibility then that shouldn't be an issue.

As has been pointed out, the Community Edition can't handle password-protected stacks: you can't protect stacks with a password, and you can't load stacks that have been password-encoded, as in the case of some older commercial stacks and/or trial versions. That would be enough of a case to keep at least one pre-6 version around.

I normally have 4.6.4, 5.5.4, and 6 available for compatibility testing. They don't take up that much room on disk. If you're really cramped for disk space, just keep the installers around (and the licenses, of course) and install the older versions when the need arises.

andrewferguson

Post by andrewferguson » Mon May 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Also, Windows XP can become overloaded, so why not try getting rid of other applications.

Rev Studio is probably the one that you will be looking to get rid of.

Was LiveCode 4.6.3 the first version to come with a licence for server? If so that might be handy to keep around.

Andrew

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon May 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Mark, there's a preference that allows you to save stacks in their existing version, so if you set that you should be able to save legacy stacks without changing the file format. I use it and it works -- at least, in 5.5.4. I haven't had a need yet to try it in 6.x.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 pm

@Jacque- thanks. I've had trouble with that in the past, but maybe it's working better now. I'll have to give it a try.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Yeah, the breakage was repaired after everyone's preference stack refused to open in earlier versions and the screaming began. :)
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Converting to LiveCode”