how did iPhone marketplace UI standards work out for RunRev?

Share your experiences and ideas on how to market your LiveCode made products.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, robinmiller

EndangeringSpecies

how did iPhone marketplace UI standards work out for RunRev?

Post by EndangeringSpecies » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:43 pm

in order to get an app into the iPhone marketplace allegedly the app needs to conform to "user experience standards" of some sort. Given that many LiveCode apps right now probably don't conform to those standards precisely due to not using the native widgets, what was the marketplace censors' reaction to RevMobile apps so far? Where can I find examples of apps that did and did not pass the cut?

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: how did iPhone marketplace UI standards work out for RunRev?

Post by Mark » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Hi,

We don't call that market place but iPhone App Store. You have two choices: 1) Make a completely HIG compliant application or 2) make your own design that completely NOT HIG compliant. Usually, if you make a game, you go for option 2. There are many cases where one might expect option 1 while the developer chose to make a custom design. I think you don't need to worry about custom designs, but if you use standard elements, such as tool bars and navigation bars, then you need to make sure that those elements are HUG compliant.

I've just submitted a simple app. I might be able to tell you more in a few days.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

PhilAJ

Re: how did iPhone marketplace UI standards work out for RunRev?

Post by PhilAJ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

How did your App go - was it accepted for the iphone ?

Phil

Dixie

Re: how did iPhone marketplace UI standards work out for Run

Post by Dixie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:23 am

I am coming around to thinking that Apple's HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) are just that… a guideline to point you in the direction of how 'they' think an app should be constructed… I don't think that these guidelines are 'set in stone'.. or if they are then the cement between the stones remains damp and there is room for manoeuvre..

I submitted an app to Apple a while ago that was rejected… the rejection was nothing to do with the layout or how it was getting data from a server, but specifically, it was rejected because of the way the client wanted the members to log-in and sign up for free trials… it was I suppose trying to sidestep Apple's possibility of garnering it s 30% from any monetary transactions… the app was submitted a while later without any monies being involved and everything was fine… I have noticed however that there are other apps in the iTunes store that use the same 'business model' as my client wished to use… and here is the 'gotcha'.. Apple state that you cannot use a comparison of another app as argument as to why yours should be accepted…

Lately I have started to write some apps, for myself, not clients, and have submitted them for approval to the iTunes store… I would not say that they really follow Apple's HIG, but they don't try and take any monies from which Apple cannot get their cut, they don't try and use any external code… but they don't use what could be termed a 'standard' interface layout… So, as long as you are prepared to be a good 'little citizen' in the Apple world, I don't think you will have too much of a problem with what your app looks like…

be well

Dixie

FireWorx

Post by FireWorx » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:28 pm

It is pretty common in my experience to have your app refused and the re- accepted after minor changes. Here were the reasons my apps have been refused.
1) One required some PDF's to be loaded into a browser and those PDF's were in a folder that was not labeled "do Not backup". Apple does not want to clutter up the iCloud with items that can be re-produced via the internet. An external was written that allowed me to label that folder and resubmit.

2) I used an icon for the settings in my apps control pannel that was to close in style to the settings icon apple uses in its user interface. I changed the icon and resubmited.

3) I submitted a gag app and did not clearly state at the top that it was for "entertainment purposes only". Also you can't use too much humor in the description of the app because it might be interpreted as false advertising. For example in the description you must clearly state that the app wont make you better looking, filthy rich or great in bed. Realy? Yes some people might think that IOS can realy do that kinda stuff. I reworked the description and re- submited.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:48 pm

fireworx...

Now you have made me both 'stop and think' a little as well as become a little nervous...
FireWorx wrote:2) I used an icon for the settings in my apps control pannel that was to close in style to the settings icon apple uses in its user interface. I changed the icon and resubmited.
as I was on the verge of submitting an app to the iTunes store... It is a QR Reader & Generator app... QR codes that have been scanned are kept so that the user can click on the link and revisit the link to which the data in the QR code points to...So, if the data contained a URL, then the link will be opened in a UI Webview browser control... if the data was an email address then it will launch the email app... an so on...

To show the user what sort of data is contained in the scanned code I have used the icons of the apps that would be used... What do you think ?... Will Apple reject the app using these iOS icons to point to the iOS apps that the link would use ?... I would be good to get some thoughts on this... I have attached a screen shot showing how I am using these icons...

be well

Dixie
Attachments
QRRecentScreen.png

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Dixie: reject, unless you can find a way to use the actual app icons.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

remi

Post by remi » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Dixie, just try it ! A rejection will not kill you!

Globally, for non-games applications, we should respect these GUIdelines. But it is not mandatory. You will not be rejected because of a custom design.
I have dev a free iPhone app, Easy Group, to send iPhone group messages, I used these guidelines. My app looks like a native iPhone app. You could find it boring, but users really appreciate this design. As they have many apps, I think they like to have same look and feel each time. So yes, use Apple tableviews, nav bars, buttons, ...

Remi

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Remi...

No I am not worried about rejection...:-) I am getting used to it from Apple... I wanted to call the last app that I submitted to Apple 'Filthy Lucre', but it was rejected on the supposition that such a title could cause offense.. so, it ended up with the unimaginative name of 'moneyXChange'...

Townsend's post just made me think that Apple might not like the fact that I have used their icons... Fireworx got a rejection over using Apples' settings icon, but there again, he did say that he had modified it.

It will be submitted as it stands now... and I'll see what the 'gods' in cupertino have to say about it...:-)

be well

Dixie

Return to “Marketing Your Products”