RevConWest - Okay, who's coming?

Visit here to inform or invite LiveCode users to user groups, meetings, conventions or other gatherings. Events must be related to LiveCode.

Moderators: FourthWorld, Klaus, robinmiller

Lynn

RevConWest - Okay, who's coming?

Post by Lynn » Mon May 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi all,

So who all is coming to RevConWest 2006 in Monterey? There is less than a month until the big event.
Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Paradigma Software - Ultra Fast Database & Reporting Platform for LiveCode
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Tue May 23, 2006 3:18 am

I have a question about the rev con.

We recently found about this and I think It would be a great benefit for our group to attend. It also conflicts with our current client schedule, due to we just recently found out about it. Not sure if we can juggle things around to send someone to go. My question is rev con just annually or is there more than one? even if it is in another country.

Anything that helps us advance our knowledge on using a great tool like Revolution we are always interested in.

Also is there some kind of calendar of these kinds of events that could be posted a few months in advance, such as on this forum. We found so many support revolution related web sites that it is hard to decide which ones to follow.

Last, for someone who never been to a Rev Con what type of things or Labs are part of such an event.

I would appreciate any assistants.

Thank you,

Obleo

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 23, 2006 2:32 pm

Obleo wrote:My question is rev con just annually or is there more than one? even if it is in another country.
At least two different companies produce regular Rev seminars. In addition to what has been the annual RevCon West event in Monterey, every other year Techie Tours has hosted Euro RevCon in Malta:

http://techietours.com/

The next Euro RevCon is set for November 3,4, and 5.

There are also a number of smaller regional gatherings. We host one here in Los Angeles every few months, and there has been some interest in a Midwest regional user group as well:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midwestrug/

Obleo wrote:Anything that helps us advance our knowledge on using a great tool like Revolution we are always interested in.
Joining the email discussion list is probably the most powerful first step in mastering Rev:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

Most of the active Rev community participates there, and the speed and quality of answers to questions there makes it invaluable. The list has a bit of traffic, but the daily digest mode helps make it manageable.

Also, check out the Links page at revJournal:
http://www.revjournal.com/links/index.html

And revJournal itself has some handy articles. :)

Obleo wrote:Also is there some kind of calendar of these kinds of events that could be posted a few months in advance, such as on this forum. We found so many support revolution related web sites that it is hard to decide which ones to follow.
The RunRev.com site has had a spotty track record of posting seminar info in a timely manner, and while I trust that's being improved you can count on revJournal to post notices of upcoming events.

Obleo wrote:Last, for someone who never been to a Rev Con what type of things or Labs are part of such an event.
First and foremost, it's the people. :) The Rev community spans the globe, and RevCon West and Euro RevCon help bring us together -- the benefits of such live interaction are difficult to describe but immeasurable.

As for the presentations themselves they cover a wide range of topics, carefully selected to provide relevant, applicable tips and techniques for intermediate developers, along with good coverage of basics like mastering the message path for beginners.

If you can't make it to Monterey, hope to see you in Malta.

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Tue May 23, 2006 8:06 pm

Thank you very much about all this info. A mailing list this is good to know.

Thank you.

:D

Lynn

Post by Lynn » Tue May 23, 2006 10:51 pm

FourthWorld wrote: The RunRev.com site has had a spotty track record of posting seminar info in a timely manner, and while I trust that's being improved you can count on revJournal to post notices of upcoming events.
Thats exactly why we have this section set up on the forums - people can post their events in a centralized space. I dont think a mailing list is ideal as a venue by itself for that since once its out of sight it can easily go out of mind.
Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Wed May 24, 2006 2:06 am

I did not even see that there was an annoument made, wow ok.

I guess I better start reading ever section of the forum, so I do not miss something. I kind of have not really looked at this top part section of this forum, only cause it not highlighted in red as not read yet when I log in.

thanks for point that out. Well this is all good things to put on my calendar, thanks for the reply.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed May 24, 2006 2:33 pm

Lynn wrote:
FourthWorld wrote: The RunRev.com site has had a spotty track record of posting seminar info in a timely manner, and while I trust that's being improved you can count on revJournal to post notices of upcoming events.
Thats exactly why we have this section set up on the forums - people can post their events in a centralized space. I dont think a mailing list is ideal as a venue by itself for that since once its out of sight it can easily go out of mind.
Fortunately no one suggested that the email discussion list be used exclusively for such announcements, but given it's single-channel nature and the size of its audience, it's a great also.

Ideally RunRev.com would have a link on the front page of the site to such events, and an Events page which lists past and future events so people can appreciate the considerable scope of the community.

There's currently a link (with graphic -- good move) to RevCon West on the front page. That's great to see. With the attention the site's getting these days hopefully we can expect to see a link to Euro RevCon there too.

Lynn

Post by Lynn » Thu May 25, 2006 11:20 pm

FourthWorld wrote:Ideally RunRev.com would have a link on the front page of the site to such events, and an Events page which lists past and future events so people can appreciate the considerable scope of the community.
Previously there really only has been the mailing list as a communication venue - we need more. All I can say at this point is that we are working at improvements and new venues - ways that users have asked about but will finally happen - Im not making promises but there's one at least we'd like to have in place by RevCon.
Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks

Return to “User Groups and Events”