iOS & Android app in a day Workshop (and much more)

Visit here to inform or invite LiveCode users to user groups, meetings, conventions or other gatherings. Events must be related to LiveCode.

Moderators: FourthWorld, Klaus, robinmiller

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

iOS & Android app in a day Workshop (and much more)

Post by dave.kilroy » Thu May 14, 2015 10:00 am

Hi all

We're putting on another LiveCode workshop on Saturday 30th May in Plymouth UK!

From our last workshop I had people asking that the focus of the next workshop should be server - but others were asking for a mobile theme - and in the end I decided we should just about be able to do both! Plus a bit of desktop thrown in...

The workshop will cover two main stages:

Stage One:
- make a basic messaging app that connects to a simple LiveCode web service and deploy this to
- desktop
- Android
- iOS
Stage Two:
- make a replica of the above web service (hosted on my on-rev account) which each participant can then customise

After that we'll all be very tired, but hopefully also happy in the knowledge that we will have used LiveCode in every one of its environments (except for Raspberry Pi).

More information on the day here http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Eve ... 221819181/

It would be lovely to see lots of you there (although if you can't one of the things we're going to try is streaming at least part of the day)

For more on our previous workshop see this thread http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23486
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

dave.kilroy

Re: iOS & Android app in a day Workshop (and much more)

Post by dave.kilroy » Fri May 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Just for info, there is some discussion on the workshop over at the use-list...
http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nab ... 92315.html

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 am

Yay it looks like we'll have Dixie coming along on the day! He and I will discuss what we'll get him to do (can't let all that talent go unused) and will report back here what his section in day will cover...

ALSO

Its looking like we'll also have David Bovill! Another yay! I also don't know what we'll get him to do, but we also can't let that talent to go unused - and will also report back here...

Kind regards

Dave

Meetup URL: http://www.meetup.com/The-THINQTANQ-Eve ... 221819181/

PS: the workshop fee of £20 goes to venue costs and investing in the MESH maker in Plymouth - unfortunately I get none of it :(

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed May 20, 2015 6:53 pm

It's looking like we'll have John Dixon and David Bovill coming along on the 30th. This is great news as they are both very experienced LiveCoders with a list of projects as long as your arm - they've both (more or less) agreed to doing a short slot where they talk about and/or demo some stuff.

I'm still hoping we'll get the messaging app done but now with John and David we can have a 'wider' less intense day :)

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Wed May 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Is there anything going on in July? 19th/ 20th I might have cause to be in Exeter.

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Thu May 21, 2015 9:52 am

Hi Sparkout - sorry no LiveCode events in my manor on those dates - but if you make it to Plymouth I'll give you cake and whiskey!

(The next LiveCode event we have planned is on 10th October...)

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi all

OK I've got the first part (GUI & local messaging) prepared for the workshop - mostly mercilessly copied from a demo stack Ben Beaumont used at last year's conference to show off LiveCode 7.
Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 20.05.37.png
The next bit is to sort out the web service (either using text files or a mySQL database - haven't decided yet)...

Kind regards

Dave

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi all

Well we did go ahead with the workshop even though there were only four of us (one of whom was David Bovil who came down specially from London!)

We actually had a very nice day, everyone got the app working - and as well as coding we had time for extended discussion of 'extended hackathons' which David introduced us to - and we'll be having a go at one on 12th June (along with other venues around the world) - and just in time before our Raspberry Pi workshop on the following day.

This is what the app-wot-we-made looks like:
messages-code-and-devices-750.png
I've just released the code and an introductory video over at this thread http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24465 so people can report bugs and make comment there...

Return to “User Groups and Events”