programming language LiveCode

Teaching software development? Using LiveCode to build your curriculum? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

renataly

programming language LiveCode

Post by renataly » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 am

Can you make android apps in the programming language LiveCode? I'm a starting programmer of the age 16, I am taking some classes and a community college in programming, but I want to know how to build android apps. I discovered LiveCode Today, it looks fairly simple. I was wandering if you could make apps in this language, and if not, what are some other languages you can use to build android apps?
Last edited by renataly on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaus

Re: programming language LiveCode

Post by Klaus » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi renataly,

1. welcome to the forum! :D

2. well, the Livecode webpage does actually not leave any doubt that you can't do this with Livecode! 8)
The presence of a special ANDROID forum here would also have answered your question...

Here some great learning resources: http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html

Best

Klaus

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Please ignore Klaus. He forgot the <sarcasm> tag.

Android support isn't as great as ios support is, here, but it is here, and people are building apps for android with LC. The most frustrating piece you're going to find is that skinning your app to make it look cool on Android is weak, at this time. LC is working on addressing that issue, but it may not be fixed, soon.

So the good news is that you can probably learn the language and get started, but when you want to start making your app look cool, you are going to have to do much of the work yourself.

In the future, if you want to avoid getting teased by the old-timers, look at the forums, the tutorials inside LC, etc. There is also a beginners forum, here, because you will definitely have some questions about how to use the scripting language.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Mikey wrote:Please ignore Klaus..
Don't! :D
Mikey wrote:He forgot the <sarcasm> tag.
No. I didn't! 8)

Return to “Teaching with LiveCode”