Sending Kids work to an iPad

Teaching software development? Using LiveCode to build your curriculum? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

MichaelR

Sending Kids work to an iPad

Post by MichaelR » Wed May 23, 2012 6:12 pm

I want to be able to have projects created by my students in LiveCode sent to iPads for other students to use. I have LiveCode 5.5 and Xcode 4.3.2 and have been having a tough time getting it all together. I signed up with Apple as an iOS developer... Created the certificates , provisioning profiles, Ap ids. I must have something missing. In LiveCode I go to preferences... Mobile support and point to the Xcode.app. In Standalone Application settings I select build for iOS put in Internal App ID ( com.name ) and choose my profile from the drop down list. I think I have it all set but still can't activate the test button to run the simulator. Let alone be able to transfer a LiveCode project to an iPad. I have found some nice step by step instructions and tried to follow them, but obviously something is still missing. I know there are a number of things that could be preventing my success here and any help would be appreciated.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Sending Kids work to an iPad

Post by jacque » Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Did you choose a test target from the Development menu?
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

MichaelR

Post by MichaelR » Tue May 29, 2012 4:56 pm

No I did not. It was that simple. Thanks for helping me cross that bridge. Now on to the transfer process.

MichaelR

Post by MichaelR » Wed May 30, 2012 7:31 pm

What would be the easiest way to send the app on to an iPad for testing/viewing.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed May 30, 2012 7:43 pm

At the risk of self-promotion, I believe the easiest way is AirLaunch:
<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/airlaunch/>

AirLaunch creates the .ipa file and the required distribution files, and uploads everything to your server or copies it to Dropbox. Basically it's a one-click solution.

There are also similar services with somewhat less functionality:

TestFlight -- requires you to send your app to them for processing
Hockey -- don't know much about this yet
iOS Beta Builder -- requires you to create your own .ipa file first
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

jmburnod

Post by jmburnod » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:04 am

I didn't use others way but i confirm Airlauch is very simple to use and it work fine
https://alternatic.ch

MichaelR

Post by MichaelR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:22 pm

I am still working on sending Livecode to an iPad. I am starting my unit again on some basic programming and the kids have simple stacks with images sounds and buttons with questions. I would really like to move these to the iPad. Last year it took too long for me to jump through all the hoops with Xcode, certificates, profiles, and such. I did finally get a project transferred to an iPhone using Airplay. I am going through the process again and can't get past the error message "performing iOS arvm v6 .. requires the iOS 5.1 SDK. " If I change the preference to Xcode 4.4.1 for 5.1 SDK the error message is "performing iOS arvm v7 .. requires the iOS 6.0 SDK. " I would really love to be able to put student work on some iPads. How can I simplify this process.

MichaelR

Post by MichaelR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:17 pm

After searching the forum I found the answer to my question. I needed to add both versions of Xcode in the preferences. So I can create a standalone app. Sending it to the iPad is the next step. Still not sure of the easiest way to do this.

Return to “Teaching with LiveCode”