Why do so few schools try LiveCode...?

Teaching software development? Using LiveCode to build your curriculum? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Why do so few schools try LiveCode...?

Post by richmond62 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Here's someone who has taken a lot of trouble to reply to my question over on the CAS forum:
LC.gif
http://community.computingatschool.org. ... post_94636

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 am

That was a reasonable and well reasoned response. Well thought out, and well laid out.
ImageImage

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:54 pm

That was a reasonable and well reasoned response.
Couldn't be better! AND, just to put the icing on the cake the same chap sent me this message:
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.53.22 pm.png
and I really hope that . . .
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.54.21 pm.png
Of course, if you have a warped sense of humour like mine you will see how funny it is that a teacher in Edinburgh has to learn about LiveCode from someone staying in Bulgaria 8)

Newbie4
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Newbie4 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Maybe we need to approach this from another direction - and make use of the many tutorials that Elanor and others have done:

from an interesting blog https://computinged.wordpress.com/2017/ ... -csedweek/
I don’t know that anybody’s tracking this, but my guess is that it’s already the case that most high school students studying CS in the United States are doing it online. Since we are not producing enough new CS teachers, the push to grow CS education in high schools is probably going to push more CS students online. This is how schools in Arkansas and other states are meeting the requirements for schools to offer CS — simply make the virtual high school CS course available, and you’ve met the requirement. No teacher hiring or professional learning required. I know from log file analyses that we are seeing huge numbers of students coming into our ebooks through virtual high school classes.
They should put together some of their tutorials into online lessons. Title one of them "Intro to Programming...pre-Java programming". Don't mention LiveCode and concentrate on meeting Common Core Standards (topics). Add projects and some quizzes and you have it.

Or piggyback on what other schools are doing, package up their livecode lessons and sell them at a nice profit.

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:54 pm
That was a reasonable and well reasoned response.
Of course, if you have a warped sense of humour like mine you will see how funny it is that a teacher in Edinburgh has to learn about LiveCode from someone staying in Bulgaria 8)
I'd guess my sense of humor is pretty warped. I'd also guess this is somewhat of an indirect answer to my earlier question about the results of every school in Scotland using it, in 2 years, people who were not in on it have no idea it happened. If this teachers school was part of it, they obviously left it behind for some reason.

It would be interesting to know the reasoning.
ImageImage

Return to “Teaching with LiveCode”