A Game Board Maker Utility

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Hutchboy

A Game Board Maker Utility

Post by Hutchboy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:44 am

[Update - deleted attachment, see new upload for Rev. B of this utility]

Hi all,
In working on a chess game variant I am calling "Joshua Chess" I needed a basic chessboard. Of course that sent me off tinkering and I created a more general utility. This first version allows you to create and color the game board in a variety of grid sizes and using the Apple colors. I added a couple of buttons to make it easy to:

1. copy the board to the clipboard so you can paste into a new stack (you could do this manually of course.)
2. generate a custom script for the currently displayed game board and place it on the clipboard.

[Note: In testing I found I could paste into a field in a new stack but not into an open script. Once in a field the script can then be selected and copied into an open script. I was hoping to be able to open up say a new button script and paste the code in directly but no luck]

Goals: I need to move on to other projects but I can see adding options to modify the size of the squares, to provide RGB sliders to set the colors, and to scroll through newly created pattern sets to assign to alternating squares.

This was a fun little project. Happy coding, Mike.
Last edited by Hutchboy on Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobcole
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: A Game Board Maker Utility

Post by bobcole » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:09 pm

Mike:
I really like your Gameboard utility. It is a nice, simple stack; very clean.
I understand if you want to move on to other projects but if you decide to go back to this I have a suggestion: an option to create 9 x 9 game boards for Sudoku games.
I created a similar script (not as refined as yours) to produce Sudoku boards (see below).
Congratulations on a nice stack!
Bob

Here is a sample:
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 8.48.34 AM.png

Hutchboy

Post by Hutchboy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:29 pm

[Update - removed attachment, see the new post for the latest update to the Game Board Maker Utility]

Thanks for the feedback. The update to add a 9x9 board for Suduko or other purposes was pretty simple. I added a notes button, revised the assorted buttons to be enabled or disabled as appropriate. I added a "splash" graphic because opening to a blank area bothered me. I tested the update and everthing seems to work fine. I hope this fills the bill.
-Mike
Last edited by Hutchboy on Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hutchboy

Post by Hutchboy » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:59 am

Hi again,

Every time I take my dog (golden retriever) for one of his many daily walks I keep thinking about this utility.

I have updated this version to add an "Advanced Options" card that allows you to create grids of 8 different polygon shapes in grid sizes from 3 to 8. I've also added a button to set the angle of the polygons. I spent maybe too much time fiddling with the button dependencies...but I learned a few things along the way.

Mike
Attachments
Create A Game Board Rev. B.livecode.zip
(103.73 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Return to “Games”