Resolution Help

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

7Leven

Resolution Help

Post by 7Leven » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:58 am

So I'm going to be making a game for Windows, Mac, and PC soon.

I need to know how to actually set the resolution of the user's screen. I can't just adjust the pixel length and width of the screen to 1920x1080 for example, because all that would do is adjust the length and width of the application and it still wouldn't fit the whole screen.

I know there's one way that effectively scales the application to the size of the monitor but I'd rather not use that because it makes things look blurry. I need to know how to resize a screen exactly as you would in a game.

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Resolution Help

Post by dave.kilroy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:23 pm

hi 7leven

You can use the mainstack's scaleFactor property to make it appear 'zoomed' bigger or smaller. You could do this in preopenstack as long as you find out the size of the screen first and then make your app as big as it can (whilst keeping the same aspect I presume)

What often gives better results is resizing; you need a resizeStack handler(s) in the stack and/or cards and from within that can make your stack to the size of the screen (if you wish), and/or keep it's aspect, as well as resizing and moving controls around as required - if you are getting 'blurry' effects it may be that your image(s) are not high enough resolution to display on some screens...

In general though, don't try to change the resolution of the user's screen, change your app to suit what he/she has set up on their computer

Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

7Leven

Re: Resolution Help

Post by 7Leven » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Thank you Dave; however, I think I was not clear on my initial question.

I do not want to change the resolution of the user's screen, what I am looking to do is allow the user to select a resolution that fits his/her screen.

Return to “Games”