LiveCode Game Jam

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode Game Jam

Post by sefrojones » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:59 pm

FourthWorld wrote: ...and that such media is licensed explicitly for such reuse (GPL, Creative Commons, Public Domain, etc.). Of course you can also contact the creator of the original work to obtain a license to use it.

Similarly, it may be best to avoid trademarked names unless you have explicit permission from the mark owner.
Good point Richard, I will add this disclaimer to the site:

Freely available, external artwork and media may be used as long as it is licensed explicitly for such reuse (GPL, Creative Commons, Public Domain, etc.) The artwork authors should be credited. This applies to sounds and graphics likewise.

If you have any suggestions to make it clearer, I'd be happy to add them. That being said, not everyone is an artist, so using GPL,CC,and public domain assets is encouraged. I highly recommend anyone who needs game assets to check out http://www.opengameart.org which has a ton of game art and sounds under varying licences. Another great site to check out is http://www.openclipart.org which has a huge amount great art that is all in the public domain. If anyone knows of any other similar sites, please share them!

--Sefro

catalinanesia

Post by catalinanesia » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi there,
Is there any game submitted yet? or is that all the games will be revealed at the end of the Jam?
I'm just curious ...

Regards!
Catalin

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:16 pm

It doesn't look like any games have been submitted yet, hopefully because everyone is working on their game. :D I will try to upload a sample game tonight to test the process.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Simon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi sefro,
I'm unable to login to the Game Jam site, I think this could possibly reduce the number of games that get uploaded. :)
I've entered my login data but when I click on "Submit Your Game" it asks me to login again.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi everybody, the sign-in issue should be fixed. I apologize for my absence, but I have been pretty busy with work. Everything should be working as expected within the next few minutes as far as signing in an uploading...

--Sefro

Edit, I have tested the submission process with a basically empty standalone, and all seems to be working well as of now.

Cyclonex

Post by Cyclonex » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey, just wanted to put out there that I am planning on submitting a top-down shooter for the Game Jam. Thanks for setting up the contest Sefro, Livecode will definitely benefit from having more games created with it to display to the public.

-- David

Simon

Post by Simon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Hey Sefro,
So I have my game up as private... do I have to be the first to submit?
Is there some sort of tactic to wait until the closing date to submit?
It's only a silly whack-a-mole game...too lame?

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Simon,

I apologize for my extended absence, but I am back now, and have some free time these last two weeks. I will be uploading a couple of games in the next few days, so you won't have to be the first one. I had hoped to promote this a little bit more, but real life obligations have gotten in the way. As it stands, this could be an easy free indy license for anyone who enters. I doubt we'll see any professionally polished games submitted, so it really is any ones game at this point.

--Sefro

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:20 pm

There's Still 15 hours left to submit a game to the Game Jam. If you miss the deadline, but would still like to submit a game, you can upload it to itch.io, and send your game URL to sefrojones@gmail.com, I will then provide you with a late submission link. Voting will still end on the 14th of December, so the sooner you enter your submission, the more people will get a chance to see/play it. Even if you're not planning on submitting a game, please stop by http://itch.io/jam/the-very-first-livecode-game-jam to check out the submissions, and don't forget to check out my game "Frogger Rocket" which I have released into the public domain. :D

--Sefro

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:27 pm

I just realized that the Jam was set to end on the 29th (today) at midnight(EST). Since it has been advertised to end on the 30th, :oops: I have extended the time frame to be fair. So, You've actually got another 1 Day and 7 hours to get your submissions in before the deadline. Sorry for any inconvenience. I will still accept late submissions if needed, as described above. :D

Cyclonex

Post by Cyclonex » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Hey Sefro, I'll go ahead and submit tomorrow, might as well put a few more hours into it. Just curious, is the voting amongst only people who submitted, or is it open to anyone who wants to vote? Thanks

-- David

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi David,

Voting is only open to those who have submitted a game, but anyone can download and play the games. :D

--Sefro

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:13 pm

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in The Very First LiveCode Game Jam! The votes have been cast and tallied, and the results are in. The top 3 rated games in this event were:

1. Space Shooter by Sefrojones

2. Tower Jump 2 by DarkoLandBox

3. GeographyQuest by AndyB

These results can be seen here:http://itch.io/jam/the-very-first-livec ... am/results

Seeing as my space shooter game was previously released (almost exactly as-is) on these forums, and the rules of the event allowed any game to enter, but only previously unreleased games to be eligible for the prize, I think the winner here is Tower Jump 2 by DarkoLandBox! Thanks for all your hard work over at http://www.livecodegamedeveloper.com and http://www.livecodegamedev.net

Thanks again to everyone who participated, and stay tuned for the next LiveCode Game Jam event!

--Sefro

Cyclonex

Post by Cyclonex » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi, just wanted to check in and see if anyone had any plans for another Livecode Game Jam?

catalinanesia

Post by catalinanesia » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Well, you are not alone. I wait for another GameJAM also ...

Return to “Games”