Sheep Herder code broken?

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Ruzu
Livecode Opensource Backer

Sheep Herder code broken?

Post by Ruzu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm

As a starting point to transition myself into LiveCode, I attempted the Sheep Herder academies. Everything worked perfectly up until I had to use the custom name and intersect functions, and beyond. The code and steps I have typed down are exactly like what was presented in the video and html files, but for whatever reason, my game and the game in the video function very differently despite having the exact same code, which is puzzling to me.

For example, I have an intersect function set up, but my sheep still go inside the pen and the control bar despite none appearing inside the video. When I drag a button sheep over the pen graphic, it stays blue and when I let go, it still stays there. In the video? the pen graphic turns red when a button sheep is over it, and the sheep is deleted when the mouse click is released. I have scrutinized the code over 10 times, and know that the code is verbatim, yet behavior is not verbatim.

If anyone else has gotten the sheep herder academies to work, could you please tell me if the code in the lessons worked, or if you had to tweak it to make it work?

Windows 7 Home Premium
Thanks.

royby

Re: Sheep Herder code broken?

Post by royby » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 am

Ruzu I also decided to learn LiveCode by doing the Sheep Herder tutorial, but part way in I was getting error messages in the code, and not understanding the code i was stumped on how to fix it. I had been following the tutorials on the pdf file and hand typing the code examples from there. After a long time spent checking that my code was identical to that in the pdf's I was still getting errors. At this point i decided to check out the video tutorials and that's when I discovered that the code presented in the videos differs from the code in the pdf's and the html lessons. Now I'm at a loss to know where to head with this tutorial because I'm not sure which is the correct code although I suspect the videos are right because they show examples of the game working as they progress.

Can anybody confirm which code is correct and offer any advice on this?

cheers

Ruzu

Re: Sheep Herder code broken?

Post by Ruzu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:02 am

Hello Royby,

I regret to say this, but, I am confident that the code in the videos themselves are not accurate either, although I'm not sure how the behavior of the code performed exactly as intended. I copied down the code in the video as one alternative attempt, and my sheep still didn't behave properly... hard as that may be to believe.

Return to “Games”