starting up animation engine

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

chris25

starting up animation engine

Post by chris25 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Ok, this can get really stupid. The instructions in the pdf are as clear as daylight: Put the following into the stack:

on openStack
if "animationEngine" is not among the lines of the stacksInUse then
start using stack "animationEngine"
end if
end openStack

So I want to study the examples given, and guess what, constantly being told that you need AE to be working even after having inserted this code into the stack. Now I am used to add ons, filters and installing things. I am not stupid. I followed the ONLY instructions that there are. There are no other instructions.

So please what the hell am I now doing wrong? :x

regards
chris

SparkOut

Re: starting up animation engine

Post by SparkOut » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Put the script mentioned in the script of the main stack. Now... have you set the Animation Engine stack as a substack of your mainstack?
You need to open the animation engine stack, and your mainstack in LiveCode at the same time. In the property inspector for the animation engine stack, on the first basic properties section, near the top, where the option for the Main Stack is shown, give it the mainstack name of your own main stack. You will see the application browser then adjusts the display to show the animation engine stack nested below the main stack. Save and reopen and it should be ok to go.

chris25

Post by chris25 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Ha, you found me lurking embarassingly around another corner. :) Well spark out, your instructions are a lot different than what I read, so thankyou. much appreciated
chris

chris25

Post by chris25 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Ok, this is not working at all.

Firstly I opened up the example stacks that come with the AE as I did before. I put the script in the mainstack as before and kept the AE splash screen open. Nothing. Still returns error that I need to have AE.

Secondly, I opened up a new stack and the AE. I named my stack while the AE was open and then opened the properties inspector for the AE, BUT, the name of the AE in the inspector had changed already to the name I gave the new stack. Why the hell is it so complicated here? Anyway, I messed around further by re-doing things in a slightly different order but still the AE never became automatically a substack.

Thirdly I clicked on the splash screen as an alternative, well that was pretty darn useless... no more said.

I'm beginning to boil eggs down here!

There is no justification whatever for these ludicrous instructions:
and I am tired of encountering time and again instructions and guidelines that are faulty or incomplete - really - and yes this is a moan.

Open stack animationEngine.livecode, the stack you have downloaded from http://www.runrev.com If you just want to play around a little, you can hit the checkbox labeled "Use me!" and you are ready to go. Next, open the liveCode messageBox and type:
aeMoveTo the long name of stack "animationEngine", the screenLoc,1000,"bounce"
and hit return. Congratulations! You moved your first object with animationEngine. If you want to start using animationEngine by script, you could do something like this:
-- in the script of the first card of your mainStack on openStack
if "animationEngine" is not among the lines of the stacksInUse then start using stack "animationEngine"
end if end openStack

Return to “Games”