How to install Livecode on the last Linux versions

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

MaxV

How to install Livecode on the last Linux versions

Post by MaxV » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Hello,
the last Linux versions have removed gksu program for security reasons, so the Livecode installer doesn't work properly anymore.
Here the step to install Livecode:
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to install Livecode on the last Linux versions

Post by richmond62 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am

That seems all a bit awkward to folks like me who keep as far away from the Terminal as possible.

I download a LiveCode installer onto my XFCE desktop and select "Properties" via a right-click.

I then set the executable bit via a radio button.

I then double-click on the installer.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 am

MaxV wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 pm
Hello,
the last Linux versions have removed gksu program for security reasons, so the Livecode installer doesn't work properly anymore.
Is there a bug report on that?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:35 am

the last Linux versions
I wonder which distros he's referring to.

After all gksu is a package which can be installed on any Linux.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm

It can be installed (for now), but there is a security issue with it if I remember correctly, something about it giving unlimited root access to the process launched with it...um... ah, here is a brief about it!
https://itsfoss.com/gksu-replacement-ubuntu/ wrote: Brief: gksu is deprecated. It is removed from Debian, Ubuntu 18.04 and other newer Linux distribution version. You can achieve the gksu functionality with gvfs admin backend. Here’s how to do that.

I was slightly surprised to find it not installed by default so I went on to install it. And this is where my surprise turned into a shock.

When I tried using sudo apt install gksu, my system told me “Package ‘gksu’ has no installation candidate“.
Another fair article on this subject can be found here, as well as a lot of other places. I've seen about 10 different ways to adapt to it suggested.

There are recommended ways and lazy but just as effective ways to deal with it. Max recommends one way, along the lines of that thinking though, you could just as easily open a run dialog (alt+F2 on most 'nixes) and type in 'sudo' and the name of the file manager in use (such as Caja, Nautilus, Thunar, etc), then browse to the livecode file and open it that way, or edit a file and create a menu entry (if not already existing) to do the same.

Another thing to note here is that if you are installing Lc for only you (which is what I believe 97% of people who aren't teachers or admins really should be using), then none of this matters since it installs it to your account and doesn't require admin priviledges.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:44 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 am
MaxV wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 pm
Is there a bug report on that?
I don't know that it is necessarily a bug (yet), since the change is in the newest releases, and I don't think Lc is built against those yet, is it? However it should be noted that the installer will need changes for anything past 'buntu 18.x

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:50 pm

the installer will need changes for anything past 'buntu 18.x
Really?

Do tell. 8)

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:38 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:50 pm
Do tell. 8)
Well, I could tell you a little story about a man named Jed, a poor mountaineer that barely keep his family fed... :P

ClipArtGuy

Post by ClipArtGuy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:44 pm

I just installed the latest versions of LC on ubunutu and lubuntu 18.04 machines. It seems to be working as expected, other than the browser widget, which has been broken in linux for some time now.

edit: also the "launch livecode" option at the end of the installation process doesn't work, but LC is installed and can be launched after that fails.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:21 pm

also the "launch livecode" option at the end of the installation process doesn't work
That has NEVER worked for me on any Linux installation in the last 13 years.

ClipArtGuy

Post by ClipArtGuy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:21 pm
That has NEVER worked for me on any Linux installation in the last 13 years.
This hasn't ever worked for me either. I just thought it was important to add, since it is techinically not the expected behavior. It's definitely not a huge problem, and I'd much rather have the browser widget fixed before the launch after installation bug.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:53 pm

I have had it work a few times, but on 'non supported' distros (go figure).

What I noticed that had changed the last time I installed a 9.x candidate to test something was that, after installing (went fine), then launching it for the first time, I got the usual sign up thing, which I clicked on the "skip this" choice. That closed the sign up thing, but when I went to launch it, it came up to (you guessed it) the sign up thing again, unlike the 8.x series which just launched the IDE :roll:

It didn't appear to matter how many times I clicked the skip this option, nor did it apparently fix it when I launched 8.x, clicked the skip this (9.x apparently reset the 8.x one!), made sure 8.x launched, then tried to launch 9 again. Some goofy stuff for sure.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:57 am

Whether or not gksu is removed depends on which distro you're talking about. This is not, as of yet, a universal decision. Of course, where it affects officially supported distros, something needs to happen. Whether it be removing the "All users" option or implementing it another way.

Also, this should only affect the installer if you are installing for "ALL users", in /opt, should it not? If you're installing for yourself, which installs everything ~/.runrev, it will work the way it's always worked.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:41 pm

wsamples wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:57 am
Whether or not gksu is removed depends on which distro you're talking about.
Only for now is it a question about which distro, since the gnome project itself is the team that decided no further development was going to happen with it. Eventually with no new package for it, it will filter to all repositories.
Also, this should only affect the installer if you are installing for "ALL users", in /opt, should it not?
Yes, as mentioned above -
bogs wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm
Another thing to note here is that if you are installing Lc for only you (which is what I believe 97% of people who aren't teachers or admins really should be using), then none of this matters since it installs it to your account and doesn't require admin priviledges.
However, as also mentioned above, an installer for your product *should* work on supported systems, and while there are a number of workarounds available for this issue, it shouldn't be left to a new user to find out what they are :D

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:48 pm

bogs wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:41 pm
Also, this should only affect the installer if you are installing for "ALL users", in /opt, should it not?
Yes, as mentioned above -
bogs wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm
Another thing to note here is that if you are installing Lc for only you..
Sorry! I read most of the thread, including *most* of your post you quoted here, but skipped over that last bit somehow :oops: :roll: Will try harder...

Return to “Linux”