Player does not show on ubuntu

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: Player does not show on ubuntu

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 am

Well, like I said, I may have some lack of the proper understanding of the documentation, I just laid it out like it reads, and it reads that way all the way back to Lc 1.x.

I did read all the documentation in Mc about xanmim, and much of the docs on what remains of the xanim site itself.

Interesting that when you 'set the videoclipplayer', the message box shows it on put videoclipplayer. If the error started on setting it, wouldn't it return an error in the message box?

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mwieder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 am

No, there's no error on setting the global variable, I just don't see any code in the engine that uses it.
And maybe that's why it crashes on my system, since I don't have xanim installed, and it's expecting xanim no matter what I set as the player.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:21 am

Well, I like your explanation better than mine :wink:

sandoval31

Post by sandoval31 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank you all for these interesting comments.

Is anyone able to sum-up this?
To come back to my original question, is there a simple way to obtain a player with buttons on livecode with ubuntu?

PS: I am developing an audio annotator, so I need every controllers (like the stop and pause buttons).

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 pm

sandoval31 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 pm
Is anyone able to sum-up this?
To come back to my original question, is there a simple way to obtain a player with buttons on livecode with ubuntu?
Sure I can sum it up for you. As Max said
The player on linux uses MPLAYER.
Mplayer doesn't have visible controls, but you can add easily with livecode
In other words, on Ubuntu (or really any linux), the player object doesn't display controls like play, pause, stop, etc because Mplayer (the default Lc uses) doesn't have those controls. But, as he points out, you can easily add your own controls and code those using Lc script. The commands for controlling the player are all in the dictionary and possibly the user guide. You can either use button objects to make the controls, or even straight up graphics.

This lesson is about playing sounds, but the language is pretty close to the same for playing movies.
This lesson is about creating a real fancy controller, but you can also use the plainer layout for what your attempting.
This lesson tells you some of the ways to control the player through script.

Lastly, a simple search with the term "livecode play movies" yielded a lot of results about a lot of ways to do all of this stuff.

Hope that helps :)

Return to “Linux”