How to type accented characters in Linux version?

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

astroboy
Livecode Opensource Backer

How to type accented characters in Linux version?

Post by astroboy » Fri May 08, 2009 2:37 pm

I had never been able to type accented characters in any version of Revolution or Metacard. For example, while all the other Linux apps work fine, Revolution produces 'a instead of producing the character á.

I never talked about this issue because I had a workaround, I had a .Xmodmap file that let me to type accented characters using the otherwise not useful Windows key: Windows+a=á Windows+e=é ,etc.

However, I upgraded to the most recent version of Mandriva Linux (2009.1) just to find that the newest xorg has no support of xmodmap

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=110347

So all of you international guys, how do you manage to type accented characters in the Linux version of Revolution?

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Wed May 13, 2009 9:45 am

Hi, I can't specifically answer your question (as I don't type foreign characters nor use Rev on Linux) so I waited a few days to see if someone else would step in.

I searched through quality.runrev.com to see if there were bug reports on this problem.

http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/bugl ... alue0-0-0=

There are certainly issues people have with "foreign" characters on Linux. However, from reading those reports it does look as though people have had their problems further down the line than yours (and some of their problems have been resolved). That suggests that you at least should be able to type "foreign" characters.

Might I suggest you write to the use-revolution list and ask there. Alternatively, you could write to support@runrev.com. What you are describing is a fundamental failure of the product, and I think they will try to provide you with a solution.

astroboy

Post by astroboy » Thu May 14, 2009 1:55 am

Well, as I said, I had never been able to type accented characters in any version of Revolution, nor in any version of the old Metacard, so I kind of grew used to this lack as if it were something 'normal'.

But, when xmodmap ceased to exist, my workaround end with it... :cry:

What I'm doing now is typing in Kwrite, and then copy-paste the text in Revolution. A bit cumbersome, but at least is working.... :roll:

On the bug reports you found, there are one in which a guy couldn't type accented French characters for Rev 2.9, and it was marked as solved!!!

Am I the only guy in the whole Metacard/Revolution existence that was not able to type accented characters in the Linux version? :oops:

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 am

When I've complained about the poor quality of Rev on Linux I've been told there are very few Linux users, but that Runrev is committed to supporting the platform and does try to fix the bugs on Linux when they are reported to Runrev.

It's a pity you did not enter your problem with accented characters as a bug report some years back. They might have fixed it by now.

I tried to use Rev 3.0 on Linux for about 1 month in 2008. In that month I came across so many problems (on a variety of different Linux distributions) that I gave up hope that Rev on Linux would ever be usable as anything more than a command-line scripting tool.

Clearly from your persistence in trying to workaround the character map bug you've found, you are far more patient and tolerant of bugs than I.

astroboy

Post by astroboy » Fri May 15, 2009 2:03 am

"Clearly from your persistence in trying to workaround the character map bug you've found, you are far more patient and tolerant of bugs than I."

Ha ha ha ha, that's a good one!

Well, I already reported this bug to quality.runrev.com It has the bug ID 8055.

I almost thought that this bug was not sent, because, well, appeared a bug in Quality Control Center: :roll:

----------------------------
Internal Error

Quality Control Center has suffered an internal error. Please save this page and send it to qccmaintainer@runrev.com with details of what you were doing at the time this message appeared.

URL: http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/post_bug.cgi

X

Rev/Linux quality. What quality?

Post by X » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:01 pm

<...poor quality of Rev on Linux I've been told there are very few Linux users...>
Not hard to guess why there are so few Linux users using Rev.
Who has nerves to wait for ages in hope it will ever work equally well as on other platforms?
Guess not many.
I'm dedicated Linux user and I'm using rev since v 1.1 but I never was able to develop equal Rev app on Linux as on Mac or Windows. Shame!
I must say it improves, but each improvement brings new bugs. If I had to document and report every Rev/Linux bug I hit, it would become full time job.
Ok, to the point.
Have you, anyone tried using UNICODE? With Unicode you can go beyond ASCII (127 chars) limit and display pretty much any character within UTF-16 range.
> set textFont of fld "MyField" to "Arial","Unicode"
Now you should be able to input chars whatever your keyboard/locale is.
! Warning. You may hit font rendering bug if you have antialiasing enabled, but please share you experience, I might have a solution/workaround for that.

Return to “Linux”