LiveCode Windows Applications on Ubuntu

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

capellan

LiveCode Windows Applications on Ubuntu

Post by capellan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:30 am

Hi All,

Recently, I was running a few LiveCode Windows applications in Ubuntu (using Wine) and found that all of them run really well.

Do you have some advice and caveats for creating and using LiveCode Windows applications that runs fine under Wine in Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution?

Thanks in advance!

Al

bogs

Re: LiveCode Windows Applications on Ubuntu

Post by bogs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 am

Caveats -
  • 3d is usually a non starter (there may be workarounds, like when using Sketchup in Wine).
  • Sound is iffy. Generally if you have sound in Lc in Linux, you'll have it in Wine, but not always.
  • The program will either work or not, usually not much inbetween. Exceptions would be things like icons not showing, or showing wierdly.
  • Same for fonts.
  • Setting a desktop will sometimes help with certain programs on conversion.
Pros -
  • If you use Play on LInux to install it, you don't have to worry about the uninstall hosing Wine.
  • If there is no installer, i.e. just an exe, you don't have to worry about hosing Wine.
  • The Lc IDE itself actually runs pretty well on Wine & POL, if you want to see what the end product would most likely look like.
  • You have access to more special folder paths running the .exe in Wine than running an actual Linux version of the program.
  • You don't have to worry about the program hosing your linux install.
Just some off the top of my head things, keep in mind though that if you notice 'quirkiness', you'll be troubleshooting 2 separate programs instead of just one. GL :)

capellan

Post by capellan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:53 pm

This is very useful! Thanks a lot Bogs for commenting and sharing this information.
For personal use, I will keep testing this in my own setup.

Have a nice weekend!

Al

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Glad it helps, you have a great one as well Al :D

Return to “Linux”