just a blank grey screen on starting LC 8.1.6 on Fedora 26

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

gtheus

just a blank grey screen on starting LC 8.1.6 on Fedora 26

Post by gtheus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi,
starting LC 8.1.6 (64bit) on Fedora 26 results in a strange behaviour: the desktop is all covered in grey and just the toolbox is visible. Switching to another app and back (Alt-Tab) shows both windows, toolbox and menu window. But as soon as I create a new mainstack, I only have the mainstack on the grey pane and toolbox and menu window disappear. Without them LC is unusable, though. What is wrong here? Any suggestions, ideas, hints?

Addendum: With the task switcher (Alt-Tab) it is possible to switch between mainstack and toolbox/menu. But as soon as I click on the mainstack, toolbox and menu disappear again. I feel that it is related to which window or window group is having the focus. The backdrop of the LC stacks is not properly set to transparent but to grey.

Addendum 2: I found a workaround! After the start of LC, I have to click on "Reset all Preferences to Defaults" in the Preferences. I do not now why, but this sets somehow the backdrop of the toolbox/menu properly to transparent. Unfortunately, this has to be done after each start of the application...

bogs

Re: just a blank grey screen on starting LC 8.1.6 on Fedora 26

Post by bogs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Here is a thread referring to the problem.

Basically, that backdrop is to help newer people be less distracted, using alt+tab as you found will let you get back to the menu bar. Once there, you can go to the 'view' menu, then uncheck the backdrop. Alternately, you can set its appearance (and possibly fix the issue if you like using the backdrop) by going to the 'edit' menu, choosing preferences, and appearance.

gtheus

Post by gtheus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Thank you, problem solved! I learned now, that's a feature... :-)
Sorry for not searching answers in other boards than Linux. It never saw this 'feature' on other platforms.

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 pm

No problems, glad we could help :)

Return to “Linux”