FC25 livecode ver 7.1.4 install

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

glhere

FC25 livecode ver 7.1.4 install

Post by glhere » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 am

Hi - have been looking around to find answers on how to install the LC launcher on my linux boxx...have changed the permissions on the launcher file and gotten it to start up. Would up creating a folder under /opt/ call revrun but even with permissions granted, no luck - get message: “Internal error (couldn’t extract payload item to file)
TRied to insall from the command line but it may be that there are missing dependencies as the message is: ./LiveCodeCommunityInstaller-7_1_4-Linux.x64
No protocol specified
(LiveCodeCommunityInstaller-7_1_4-Linux.x64:11943): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Since one of the forum's threads mentioned an rpm,thought I'd go that route but the message is: nothing provides libGLESv1_CM.so needed by livecodecommunity-7.1.4-2.x86_64.rpm
Note, there was also the notice: (try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages)
[I am in process of upgrading to FC26 but until I get there this box has to be dependable and erasing files for LC is one thing, but not sure what those files do for other apps so am leaving that route alone for now (and for as long as I can :P)

This is a 64 bit machine and I have seen notations for adding a bunch of files LC is dependent on the system having (like
libc6:i386
libgtk2.0-0:i386
libgdk-pixbuf2.0.0:i386
libglib2.0-0:i386can
not find any of them on my system so far) but also attesting to the need for 32 bit files...I had thought more up-to-date OSs had all these files - am beginning to wonder if this install is ever going to happen! Well, this is a lot to digest - if anyone has any ideas, please let me know - do appreciate tthis might take time and effort, but if possible,
Thanks in advance

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: FC25 livecode ver 7.1.4 install

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:51 am

The v7 series is very old. Have you considered using a more recent build? The latest Stable release is 8.1.7:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:08 am

What distro of Linux are you running?

I think that talking about "Linux" is becoming increasingly difficult as distros
begin to increasingly differentiate their feature sets.

It might not be a bad idea if in future posters referred to

RedHat Linux,
Debian-derived Linux

and so on.
Linux types.jpg

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:21 pm

richmond62 wrote:What distro of Linux are you running?
I believe he is running Fedora 25. I could be wrong, and if I am, I certainly hope he comes back and answers with the correct information ! :D
glhere wrote:This is a 64 bit machine and I have seen notations for adding a bunch of files LC is dependent on the system having (like libc6:i386, libgtk2.0-0:i386, libgdk-pixbuf2.0.0:i386, libglib2.0-0:i386can
Do you have multiarch setup correctly? Multiarch used to be set up using ia32libs, most distros have gone to multiarch. Not sure of the fedora version of the print command, but on debian based systems you would use

Code: Select all

~ > dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
    i386
If you don't see i386 then you need to add that architecture to the mix before trying to install 32 bit programs, and dnf should bring in the packages you need when you try to install with both 64 and 32 bit versions.
FourthWorld wrote:The v7 series is very old. Have you considered using a more recent build? The latest Stable release is 8.1.7:
This is a very good question if your only trying to install and get livecode working to test it out, as it is the most painless way to go about it, however the most painful way isn't very much more difficult :)

Look forward to hearing back from you after checking this out.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Uhuh: FC = Fedora Core

That's just great for all those people who have got nothing else to do except learn all the acronyms for all the Linux distros:

DSL anyone? [Damn Small Linux] http://damnsmalllinux.org/

RES perhaps? [Richmond's Egg Salad] http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/home.html
Last edited by richmond62 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:21 pm

I wonder:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc ... =rpm-build

The Linux installers for Livecode are delivered as Binary files which should be convertable into .rpm files.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm

richmond62 wrote:Uhuh: FC = Fedora Core
That's just great for all those people who have got nothing else to do except learn all the acronyms for all the Linux distros:
...DSL anyone? [Damn Small Linux] http://damnsmalllinux.org/
...RES perhaps? [Richmond's Egg Salad] http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/home.html
I actually use and love DSL and you already know I like your "egg salad" distro :D

I've already at some point installed Lc for Fc (chuckle) among other distros, nothing needs to be converted, you just need to make sure the right architecture is available and the package manager should take care of the rest of the required files.

Least, that is the way it works on most debian based systems, I'm putting Fc into a Vm to see what issues our friend here might have had to face.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:59 pm

Well, that was fun, but I only experienced minor problems doing the install, none of which had to do with 32 bit libraries. Here are some screen-shots of what I saw:
First run ...
This told me I didn't have permission to write out the folder after launching the LC installer from the user account. Opened up a terminal, and sudo'd the installer launch...
The install proceeded as expected past that point, no other issues presented themselves. Here is Lc hello from Fc ...

Since the install was pretty painless, I'm not sure exactly what happened to our friends install, unless he comes back and tells us. From the requesting 32 bit libraries bit, I am pretty sure he wouldn't be running the 64 bit version of Lc.

glhere

Post by glhere » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi - thanks for all the replies
Yes, Fedora Core 25
tried the binary and later the rpm installations
yes, had to change permissions on the binary
Yes, have 32 bit libraries installed
Installer launched but error-ed out as mentioned

Tried installing the RPM - had to create a folder and set permission (see results below)
RPM install led to an error re: display:
./LiveCodeCommunityInstaller-7_1_4-Linux.x64
No protocol specified
(LiveCodeCommunityInstaller-7_1_4-Linux.x64:11943): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

oh, btw, have to use the 7.1.4 distro as that is the version the school where I am currently working uses (ver 8 is way different - kids too young/I am too knew to LC to twist around all the difference - is a short-term quick fix that I am doing this for the school

Am glad to hear someone was able to install this - not sure why this doesn't work on my box (an old panasonic toughbook)...if anyone is able to find a cure (from the error messages, other info which would be supplied on request), would appreciate

cheers

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Seriously, I would skip this rpm file your talking about, the installer works if you have whats needed. Fc 25 had everything needed, you just needed to sudo the installer and away it went.

Gdk errors -
Linux
The linux engine requires the following:
32-bit installation, or a 64-bit linux distribution that has a 32-bit compatibility layer
2.4.x or later kernel
X11R5 capable Xserver running locally on a 24-bit display
glibc 2.3.2 or later
gtk/gdk/glib (optional – required for native theme support)
pango/xft (optional – required for pdf printing, anti-aliased text and unicode font support)
lcms (optional – required for color profile support in JPEGs and PNGs)
gksu (optional – required for elevate process support)
-----------
Still, unless you did something non-standard with the installation of Fc, I can't see how you don't have what you need.

I'd suggest installing a small vm and doing an install of Fc25 in that, then downloading the actual Lc installer, not some rpm installer, then running it using the sudo command or, optionally, logging in as root and running it.

From my own experience, I would make sure you assign the vm at least 1 gb of ram if it is virtualbox, ymmv.

glhere

Post by glhere » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi - I do have the 32 bit libraries installed (tho haven't checked/will to see how to do that - just remember needing them for something else (2 years ago!) Am upgrading to FC26 shortly and will make sure all in place tho, hey, the trial is up in 6-7 days, argh). Is strange that a graphical su wrapper (yes???) would make the difference but, by name I am not able fo find it on my system...I have read it is safer to use gkdsudo...will that work (read also that "potkit" is the cammand now being included in at least one Linux system as it is "safer"?) Please advise if only gkdsu will work?

In the meantime, will find it somewhere but wait to install till I can clarify somewhere - hope this is the wise way for me

Thanks again and thanks in advance for any (more!) info :]

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 pm

gksu is optional, not a requirement (as you can see in the screen shot, I sure didn't use it, I used plain old "sudo ./installer".

Also, if you were installing the 64bit Lc, you shouldn't require the 32 bit libraries. The only time you might see a message like that is if you were trying to install a 32 bit program.

I don't see gksu being any more or less safe than sudo, using either raises your user level privileges and allows creating directories or other administration level things. Neither would have an advantage here, I suspect it is listed as optional because Lc was (for linux) set up with Ubuntu gnome in mind.

Note that this is not a hard requirement, I currently have Lc running on a trinity desktop (q4os / debian base) and it works just fine.

After you finish upgrading, but before trying to reinstall Lc, I would again suggest setting up virtual box or similar, and installing your target os there, clean, then installing Lc on the vm. All said, it should take less than 1 hour, and you will see if there is going to be an issue without making changes to your working system.

Good luck :wink:

glhere

Post by glhere » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:34 am

so no biggie - will only be doing this for 2 more weeks - school has a license and will work from there - omg, I just tried to install again, this time for myself only (not "all users") and installation completed (no more "can not install payload files or some-such). Note: when "Finish" button clicked (with "lunch button selected), no LC - had to launch from applications but it did indeed launch. Success - strange, but guess is a licensing (only one user) deal? Should I have seen that restriction somewhere?
Thanks for your help/encouragement

MaxV

Post by MaxV » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 pm

glhere wrote: Note: when "Finish" button clicked (with "lunch button selected), no LC - had to launch from applications but it did indeed launch.
That's normal is a bug that always existed.
glhere wrote: Success - strange, but guess is a licensing (only one user) deal? Should I have seen that restriction somewhere?
Thanks for your help/encouragement
No, the free version is just open source but quite the same of the commercial ones, so your program will just have the open source license. No other limits.
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 pm

MaxV wrote:No, the free version is just open source but quite the same of the commercial ones, so your program will just have the open source license. No other limits.
Actually, that is becoming less correct (not applicable to 7.x), but versions going forward. From the pricing page:
I seem to remember someone asking in another thread about auto-complete, well, looks like its now in there, just not in the free oss version :)

Return to “Linux”