which distro?

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

mlsam

which distro?

Post by mlsam » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:03 am

hi to all, new LC user here.
I'm testing 8.1 community on Fedora 24 x64, but it crashes on "start Interactive tour" and display blank windows when I select "Dictionary"
so I've tested on a vm with a clean install of xubuntu 16.04_x64 and ubuntu 16.04_x64 and but i had the same problems, and from what i've understood working without dictionary for a newbie it's not easy...
I've read some other threads about similar problem here, on ml and on quality portal, but i didn't found a solution and all bugs seems pending, so i wish to know if someone use LC8 on linux_x64 and in that case on which distro, because i had no luck with "supported" platforms (Fedora24 and Ubuntu 16.04)
Thank you

AxWald

Re: which distro?

Post by AxWald » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi,

cannot be of too much help since I don't use LC 8 (too much "strange features" for my production work), but at least 1 of the newer 8's (64bit) ran fine on my Lubuntu 16.04. Cannot check anymore what it was, Lubuntu committed suicide when trying out LXQt :/

Switched to Linux Mint 18/ Mate, and it's my first Linux ever where LC (6.7.10 in this case) ran flawlessly out of the box, at the first attempt & without any problem. I'll try 8.1.0 later, and will report what comes up.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 pm

I've been running Xubuntu without a backwards glance for 11 years, and no obvious
problems running Livecode on it.

Currently I'm running Xubuntu 16.04 64 Bit.

Rocks!

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 pm

mlsam wrote:hi to all, new LC user here.
I'm testing 8.1 community on Fedora 24 x64, but it crashes on "start Interactive tour" and display blank windows when I select "Dictionary"
so I've tested on a vm with a clean install of xubuntu 16.04_x64 and ubuntu 16.04_x64 and but i had the same problems, and from what i've understood working without dictionary for a newbie it's not easy...
I've read some other threads about similar problem here, on ml and on quality portal, but i didn't found a solution and all bugs seems pending, so i wish to know if someone use LC8 on linux_x64 and in that case on which distro, because i had no luck with "supported" platforms (Fedora24 and Ubuntu 16.04)
Thank you
I am running Ubuntu 16.04 with all recent updates as of today.
Livecode 8.1.0 runs fine, dictionary and start-center work.
The recent Livecode 9 dp 1 seems to be pretty snappy, but I have not used it in production yet.

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by wsamples » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:55 am

My everyday system runs openSUSE Tumbleweed. LiveCode works very well, including the dictionary. The only issue I have is the Start Center closes by itself when I launch LiveCode but it opens from the menu and works fine after that. I have recently tested several other "unsupported" distros and posted results here in the forum. I have found only a very few (so far) which demonstrate issues. Of the distros I have tested to this point, openSUSE is the most "mainstream" one. I can recommend the GeckoLinux rolling release which is a spin of openSUSE Tumbleweed, offers a less bloated installation and is available with eight different DEs. Be aware that openSUSE Leap 42.1 and the spins based on it do not run LiveCode at all in my experience but the upcoming Leap 42.2 version almost certainly will, based on the performance of the Beta versions. Antergos is an Arch based distro with simplified installation and management that I could also recommend.

I have been installing most of these distros with KDE because that's the DE I prefer and have found only once where I had to do additional installations to get LiveCode working.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 pm

I've found that launching the dictionary twice (launch, close it, launch it again) works for me on 64-bit linux Mint 17/cinnamon. Others report different results, so ymmv.
And that's true for LC7, LC8, LC9.

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:03 am

ghettocottage wrote:
mlsam wrote:hi to all, new LC user here.
Thank you
I am running Ubuntu 16.04 with all recent updates as of today.
Livecode 8.1.0 runs fine, dictionary and start-center work.
The recent Livecode 9 dp 1 seems to be pretty snappy, but I have not used it in production yet.

I take it back...Dictionary is freezing up in 9.0, nothing works after that.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:27 am

Hi,
mwieder wrote:I've found that launching the dictionary twice (launch, close it, launch it again) works for me on 64-bit linux Mint 17/cinnamon.
Tested 8.1.0 with 64bit Linux Mint 18/ Mate:
  • Starting LC from installer fails. (Nothing happens)
  • First start via program menu fails. (Splash comes up, with a vanilla empty document; sleeps then)
  • Starting the executable directly works then.
  • Subsequent starts are working fine.
Dictionary window is initially empty, but shows changing cursors when mousing over it. Resizing it is strange - it changes size following the mouse, then jumps back to other dimensions ... And shows artefacts:
Dict.jpg
Dict, when resizing
Dict.jpg (10.04 KiB) Viewed 7850 times
Closing the dict & reopening it shows proper entries then.

As far as I see 8.1 seems to work with Mate.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

Return to “Linux”