Atom Editor

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer

Atom Editor

Post by ghettocottage » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:10 pm

To date, I have been using gEdit as my text-editor. It has enough plugins to get me by, and I was even able to put together a Livecode language file so it would highlight my <?lc tags and such.

I have tried many other editors, including brackets, sublime, geany, bluefish, etc. but gEdit has a nice feature where the side-bar shows my sFTP folders I have bookmarked in my file-browser (nautilus).

This past week I started playing with atom editor: atom.io
I feel like a first-class nerd for getting excited about a text-editor, but:

-it is easy to edit the appearence, since it is based on css and html
-it has some really cool add-ons
-it is open-source
-it works great in Ubuntu
-it looks great in Ubuntu
-it lets me open a book-marked sFTP folder, and then keeps that folder as "project" folder

I am loving it. Now I need to write another language file for Livecode server files...

Anyone else using atom?

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Atom Editor

Post by wsamples » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Atom already has a LiveCode language package.

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:28 pm

wsamples wrote:Atom already has a LiveCode language package.

It looks like that is specifically for editing .lcb files rather than .rev or .lc files, which is what I am after:
Currently, this package supports editing LiveCode Builder source code in .lcb files. It provides syntax highlighting and indentation support.

zaxos

Post by zaxos » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:32 pm

interesting post, i'l certainly give atom a try, is it possible to edit a .livecode file outside of the IDE? how is it handling images and files in it? or have i completely misunderstood?
Knowledge is meant to be shared.

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:41 pm

zaxos wrote:interesting post, i'l certainly give atom a try, is it possible to edit a .livecode file outside of the IDE? how is it handling images and files in it? or have i completely misunderstood?
I am talking about editing Livecode server files, which are just text files much like .php

Might look like this:

Code: Select all

<?lc

--grab the statement
	    put  $_GET["quote"] into tQuote
	    put the version into tVersion
             if tQuote is not empty
                 then  put "The server version " & tVersion  &  tQuote
	     else
 	--end check   else do something else  

--else start the revigniter stuff
global gEXT, gFCPATH, gSELF, gBASEPATH, gAPPPATH, gErrorData, gDatabaseID, gDocTypes, gAdvancedUnicode

zaxos

Post by zaxos » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Ohh, i see now. :oops:
Knowledge is meant to be shared.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:52 pm

It looks like that is specifically for editing .lcb files rather than .rev or .lc files
I hadn't noticed that :D Sorry! You might search or ask on the use-livecode mailing list. This has been asked more than once there. There seems to be a TextMate bundle available from the revigniter project for .lc files. Atom has a process you might be able to use to convert this TextMate bundle to an Atom package. converting-a-text-mate-bundle

Search the use-livecode mailist for a thread from September 2014 with subject "Re: Is someone using Coda 2 with syntax highlighting for livecode server scripts?"

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:39 pm

wsamples wrote:
I hadn't noticed that :D Sorry! You might search or ask on the use-livecode mailing list. This has been asked more than once there. There seems to be a TextMate bundle available from the revigniter project for .lc files. Atom has a process you might be able to use to convert this TextMate bundle to an Atom package. converting-a-text-mate-bundle

Search the use-livecode mailist for a thread from September 2014 with subject "Re: Is someone using Coda 2 with syntax highlighting for livecode server scripts?"

I am not adverse to cobbling a language file together for atom. I will work on on this evening and put it in github

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:01 am

Done!

I used the TextMate bundle available on therevIgniter website and converted it for atom, then pushed it to the atom packages. You can now install it directly from atom under Preferences>Install

i Love it!!

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:06 am

That's fantastic! Do you subscribe to the mailing list? I'm sure there are people on the list who will be happy to learn about this! Thank you for sharing!

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:57 pm

wsamples wrote:That's fantastic! Do you subscribe to the mailing list? I'm sure there are people on the list who will be happy to learn about this! Thank you for sharing!

I am not on the mailing list. Honestly I never quite got into email lists. I was on one once back when I was first learning Linux and joined a LUG, but all those emails..ug. Forums are much nicer for me.

At any rate, I contacted the people at revIgniter and let them know I added that to atom. A guy named Ralf emailed back and had a look at it, and found some missing things, so I just ran an update. The updates can be run from atom.

I really like how easy it was to create the package and push it to atom. Adding the update was also a breeze.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 pm

I have taken the liberty of making this known to the mailing list. Thanks again for sharing your work!

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:17 am

Just an update on the atom/livecode language package: I unpublished my package and merged it with peters livecode package to avoid having two livecode packages for different things.

Just install peters (atom-language-livecode), and run updates and you should be good. It will now include:

livecode source editing language
revIgniter snippets
livecode server language

peter-b

Post by peter-b » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:56 am

Sorry for the delay -- I've only just published the version of "language-livecode" with LiveCode Server support!

Make sure that you've got "language-livecode" installed and that the version is 0.5.0 or later.

I'll stay subscribed to this thread, so if you have any issues please report them either here or on the issue tracker.
LiveCode Open Source Team — @PeterTBBrett — peter.brett@livecode.com

Return to “Linux”