clipboardData[] and copy not working

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Garrett

clipboardData[] and copy not working

Post by Garrett » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 pm

I am unable to set the clipboard via clipboarddata and copy.

Code: Select all

LiveCode:  Community Edition 7.0.5 Build 10034
Distro:  Ubuntu MATE 15.04 64bit
Desktop:  Mate 1.8.2
CPU:  1.86 Dual Core
Mem:  4Gig

Code: Select all

set the clipboardData["text"] to "Meep!"
Just won't work for some reason. This used to work, I'm working on a program that I'm simply updating and it worked before, but I don't remember which version of LiveCode I was using at the time when I started this project. But I do remember that at least I was using 32bit Linux at the time and am now using 64bit. I even started a brand spanking new project to check if it had something to do with my specific project.

So I tried the "copy" command and it will not work either.

I also noticed one other problem... When I highlighted text in an edit box in my program and pressed CTRL+C to copy, it was not copied. I can CTRL+V and paste into fields though.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated. This is not a time sensitive issue, the program is simply a program I use only for myself daily and I do have back up version of it written in another language to use for now.

Thanks,
~Garrett
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 b.c. to 479 b.c.)

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: clipboardData[] and copy not working

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:31 pm

See if you can paste from GEdit. If you can this is a known issue with pasting text that contains style info in the Clipboard record, and is being worked on.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Will Pluma do? I believe it's the MATE version of GEdit.
'What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others.' - Confucius (550 b.c. to 479 b.c.)

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi Garrett, welcome back

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by ghettocottage » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:17 pm

I have issues with anything involving clipboard and Livecode if I am running a clipboard manager like Dioden or Clippy. I usually disable Dioden if I am working in Livecode.

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:13 am

@ghettocottage: It hasn't affected anything else for me.

@SparkOut: Heya! Yeah, it's been a while, but I don't do a whole lot of coding these days. Still working on converting many of my Window's codes over to Linux. Every once in a while I hit a little bump like this clipboard issue here.

@FourthWorld: Pasting into a LiveCode field hasn't been a problem, only trying to copy from. But with Pluma, and IDE or Compiled form, it seems now Copy and Paste are working with no issue. But the clipboarddata function still does not work.

Just decided to try something else. I've been using the old Opera browser and it seems when it's open, I can't use the copy hotkey in LiveCode for copy. If I use FireFox I can copy and paste, but! when I use the clipboarddata function, it still refuses to apply the data to the clipboard.

BTW, I should also note that the version of MATE that comes with Ubuntu MATE is using GTK 2 and not GTK 3, if that makes any difference or not.

~Garrett

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:44 am

Like ghettocottage, I have found issues with LiveCode and the clipboard when using a clipboard utility/manager. This was true running Mint 10 (Gnome 2) and later under openSUSE (KDE Plasma 4 and 5). Some of these issues were resolvable by changing settings for the clipboard manager. In particular you might look at playing with settings such as "prevent empty clipboard" and "ignore selection". The clipboard in Linux is a complicated beast involving multiple stages and buffers. I'm not going to guarantee this will help your particular problem, but I recommend you give it a look if you haven't already. Good luck!

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:18 am

@wsamples: This is recent install of Ubuntu MATE here and I didn't install any clipboard manager. I can't seem to find one either in the menus. I know some distros by default chuck one in there, but can't seem to find one on this distro. I'll check the panel applets to see if there's one in there.

Thanks,
~Garrett

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 am

Heh, well.. MATE doesn't even have a panel applet for the clipboard either. I'm used to like KDE and XFCE having one, but seems not on this one.

Return to “Linux”