Trouble installing enterprise to Linux

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kresten

Trouble installing enterprise to Linux

Post by kresten » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:30 pm

I have unzipped the full linux enterprise 3.0, to the desktop of an old HPpavilion, where OpenSuse is mounted as OS(it specifies: Linux 2.6.22.5-31-default i686).
The exe file looks like an exe file, and has the property executable, but nothing happens, when I click.
Is there a special folder for progams, or some special way to install programs ? I am also wondering, that the unzip produced two folders, one a lib-folder-
Please help
Kresten

malte

Post by malte » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi kersten.

Best to send a query to support@runrev.com. The will be able to help you. I have had no problems installing Eterprise under UBUNTU and Freespire (The only flavours of Linux I run here), so I am afraid I can not help you there.

All the best,

Malte

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi Kresten,

What happens if you run Revolution from the terminal? Does it return an error message?

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

gragon

Post by gragon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 pm

I have had the same problem. I believe the executable uses relative URLs to its required support files. I have had to create a shell script that changes directories, and then launches the executable.

I unzip the release to a directory named "opt" under my home directory (e.g. /home/gragon/opt). I then rename the directory to "runrev" (e.g. /home/gragon/opt/runrev). I do this because that is where I like to keep optional software, not because it is a requirement.

I keep a shell script in my personal bin (/home/gragon/bin) named runrev, and make create a launcher for it on the desktop taskbar. The script looks like the this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/gragon/opt/runrev
./revolution
exit 0
If you don't have a bin, and you are a point-and-click inclined, then you can always create a similar script on your desktop and make it executable (right-click and change its properties to make it executable), then just click on it.

Again, I am only speculating that it is due to the Revolution developers' desire to use relative URLs.

Return to “Linux”