Invisible Text

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

HigleyLH

Invisible Text

Post by HigleyLH » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:17 am

So I just installed LiveCode 6.5.2, well upgraded from 6.0. Now I don't see any text in the LivdeCode UI. Screenshot attached. Environment is OpenSUSE 12.3, 64 bit running KDE. Didn't have this problem in 6.0. Any thoughts?
Attachments
livecode.png
Invisible Text

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Invisible Text

Post by wsamples » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm running openSUSE 13.1 here and don't have this problem. Check to make sure you have all the "optional" libs installed in their 32 bit versions. YaST make this easy to check:

gtk/gdk/glib (optional - required for native theme support)
pango/xft (optional - required for pdf printing, anti-aliased text and unicode font support)
lcms (optional - required for color profile support in JPEGs and PNGs)
gksu (optional - required for elevate process support)
mplayer (optional - required for video playback)
esd (optional - required for audio playback)

Maybe also install the appropriate 32 bit theme engine for whichever theme you are running your gtk apps in. Again, searching in YaST makes this easy.

gksu is not related to this issue, but if you choose to install it, you may have to enable the Tumbleweed repo. Likewise, mplayer is found in Packman:

http://software.opensuse.org/package/gksu
http://packman.links2linux.org/

An empty search in YaST indicates something in a repo that you don't currently have enabled. Searching at http://software.opensuse.org/search should lead you to it.

Good luck!

---edit--- I had initially given bad advice regarding using the one-click installers found at the SUSE package search page. Using these on a 64 bit system will install 64 bit software, so you need to enable the repo and then install the software, making sure you're installing the 32 bit version. YaST makes this foolproof for those of us who haven't learned the finer points of zypper. You can install the 32 bit rpms directly from the search page, but this is not recommended since you won't be enabling the relevant repo, which could lead to dependency issues down the road.

HigleyLH

Post by HigleyLH » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:49 pm

So it sounds like the optional items aren't so optional... ??? No worries about one-click and Yast.. I use only zypper. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I'll update with my progress.

Thanks.

HigleyLH

Post by HigleyLH » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:17 am

So as I try to hunt things down, I have some questions.
wsamples wrote: gtk/gdk/glib (optional - required for native theme support)
pango/xft (optional - required for pdf printing, anti-aliased text and unicode font support)
lcms (optional - required for color profile support in JPEGs and PNGs)
gksu (optional - required for elevate process support)
mplayer (optional - required for video playback)
esd (optional - required for audio playback)
These requirements are a little vague...
GTK 2 or 3?
I assume we want the libs?
Has anyone tried doing a symlink to the 64 bit versions?

Thanks!

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:40 am

The LiveCode build environment is Ubuntu 6 or 7. Try 'gtk'. This can be found in Packman, along with glib.

I have to admit to having applied the shotgun approach and installing everything that seemed a likely candidate. gtk-2-tools and glib-2-tools should be available in the standard repos.

HigleyLH

Post by HigleyLH » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:22 am

wsamples wrote:The LiveCode build environment is Ubuntu 6 or 7. Try 'gtk'. This can be found in Packman, along with glib.

I have to admit to having applied the shotgun approach and installing everything that seemed a likely candidate. gtk-2-tools and glib-2-tools should be available in the standard repos.
I try to steer clear of Packman, it's a great way to break your install. All these libraries are in the core repos anyway. I wasn't sure what you mean by Ubuntu 6 or 7 as that isn't how they number their versions (it's year and number, I think).

Anyways, the problem is fixed. libpango ended up being the magic bullet. I personally believe installing 32 bit libraries is bad practice so I'll play around with symlinking to the 64 bit libraries. That's worked every time I've needed 32 bit libraries in the past. Does anyone out these even use 32 bit installations any more?

Thanks again.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 am

As far as installing 32 bit libs and using Packman, I can only say it's your system, manage it whatever way you prefer. SUSE releases statistics and it wasn't too many versions ago that those stats indicated a near even split between 64 bit and 32 bit. I saw stats for 12.2 or 12.3 that indicated 64 bit was pulling well away, but as long as people promote the idea that Linux is a way to keep older hardware in productive use, 32 bit support will be a part of the Linux landscape. Not to mention that there are people who are still leery of 64 bit and don't feel they need it anyway.
Last edited by wsamples on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:32 am

HigleyLH wrote:
I wasn't sure what you mean by Ubuntu 6 or 7 as that isn't how they number their versions (it's year and number, I think).
I was remembering, somewhat vaguely this post:

http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... =15#p72813

"We need to organize a suitable build platform for 64-bit. For 32-bit we use Ubuntu 6.06 simply because it builds binaries that work on pretty much all 32-bit linux distros (its old enough to!)."

I have never been a Ubuntu user :D

I'm glad you solved the problem you were having :)

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:27 am

As RunRev seem fairly happy with Ubuntu (unlike some other people hereabouts)
I would suggest for a 64-bit build they target Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit version:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Return to “Linux”