"No such file": installing in Xubuntu / Intel i7

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FabricioRocha

"No such file": installing in Xubuntu / Intel i7

Post by FabricioRocha » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi all,

I've been interested in trying LiveCode -- actually, I've been always interested in HyperCard and its descendants for long. I had LiveCode 6.1 installed in my i7 notebook under a Debian system, but I had to wipe it out and install everything again. Came Xubuntu 13.10, 64 bits.

Now I am trying to install LiveCode 6.5 and I always get "no such file or directory" whenever I try to execute the installer. Yes, I made it executable. Yes, I've checked for "multiarch" support in my system. It all seems to be there, but the installer just does not work.

Any clues, please??

Thank you very much!

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: "No such file": installing in Xubuntu / Intel i7

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:08 pm

LiveCode is currently 32-bit only. A 64-bit build is in development, but in the meantime you'll have to install ia32-libs to get the 32-bit compatibility needed to run it.

Feel free to post back here if you run into any snags with that. I use Ubuntu daily myself, so hopefully I can lend a hand if needed.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

FabricioRocha

Post by FabricioRocha » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:59 am

Thank you, Fourth. Nice to know you're another Ubuntu user here.

Anyway, in my version there is no ia32-libs package anymore. I've seen the Livecode 32-bit restriction before, and I looked for multiarch support. It's there, but not enough.

Then I found that ia32-libs was replaced by a number of specific "lib32*" packages. 58 of them.

I presume that installing the right ones will work. But which ones are used by Livecode?

Thanks again!

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 am

I ran into the same issue, and it took me some hunting on the Web to find the solution (seems Multiarch isn't as multi as we'd like). I'm not near that machine right now, but if got don't find the repo you'll need to add I'll see if I can dig up that info in the morning.
Richard Gaskin

FabricioRocha

Post by FabricioRocha » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:58 pm

The thing is really troublesome. Here's what I tried now, without success:

1st - Install libc6-i386, 32 bits library for AMD64.

2nd - Then I was able to run "ldd LiveCodeInstaller...", which told the missing libraries: libX11.so.6, libXext.so.6, libfreetype.so.6. Other libraries are required, but they were present: linux-gate.so.1, libdl.so.2, libm.so.6, libpthread.so.0, /lib/ld-linux.so.2.

3rd - sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 and apt-get update. Nothing happened.

4th - Reinstall packages wit apt-get install libx11-6:i386 libxext6:i386 libfreetype6:i386 . ldd on the installer pointed all libraries go, but when I tried to run, I got a segfault (signal 11) message.

Now I'm trying to install Slitaz in Virtualbox just for Livecode.

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Two suggestions. 1) Try LiveCode 6.5.1 or 6.1.3. I believe 6.5.0 had a problem where if you lacked some optional lib(s) it would refuse to run at all instead of run without the features those missing libs provide. 2) Check the user guide for a list of system requirements under Linux and try to install all of these libs, in their 32 bit versions. I can't give any Ubuntu specific help regarding the installation of these libs; I run openSUSE (gotta say Yast makes this process really simple and clear!), but you should definitely be able to get it running properly.

FabricioRocha

Post by FabricioRocha » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Is there Livecode 6.5.1 for Linux as well? How can one get it? I could update my Windows installation from 6.0.1 to 6.5.1, but whenever I go to "Download" in LC's site it offers me the Linux 6.5.0 version...

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Here is the download repository:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

FabricioRocha

Post by FabricioRocha » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:45 am

Thanks, wsamples. Progresses here.

I changed from Slitaz to Debian 7.0 32 bits under VirtualBox. After figuring out a load of Debian glitches, I was able to download and install Livecode 6.5.1 successfully in it. Nice, now I can try Livecode under Linux as well!

Then I decided to try it also under the 64 bits Ubuntu, on which I had installed the 32-bits libraries. At this time there was a progress: the first installation window was shown. But no text was shown. I had the same problem with a little app I made with Windows Livecode and "standaloned" for Windows and Linux. The Windows version worked OK, but when I tried running the Linux version under Ubuntu I saw no labels at all.

I'll keep you updated about anything new.

Thank you again and regards!

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil

MaxV

Post by MaxV » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm

I use Livecode 6.5 without problem on Linux Mint 64 bit
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:31 pm

@Fabricio: An issue with text rendering of some controls was found in v6.5 1; you should find that fixed in the current version, 6.5.2.
Richard Gaskin

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:48 pm

If you haven't already, please look at this thread: http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 20&t=18952

You'll find a list of the libs which the LiveCode system requirements lists as optional, while saying that some will become necessary (but not with which future version, which may already be the current one :roll: ). The OP also ended up with no text displayed in the UI and includes screenshots. He resolved this issue with the installation of 32bit libpango.

Good luck.

FabricioRocha

Post by FabricioRocha » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for the tips. After a good while, tried once again to intall Livecode (6.5.2) in Xubuntu. The libpango tip really worked and I was able to install and run Livecode. The only glitch there was that I could not perform an install for "all users". The installer asked for my password but could not "start the slave installer".

After installed for my account only, Livecode seems to work fine, and even faster than its Windows counterpart. Then I installed Oracle Java 7, configured the mobile support to the right directories, got the adb daemon started.

I loaded the Android stacks I have created in Windows OK. Anyway, when I tried to "test" them, I got a message "Unable to build app for testing: could not encode class bundle".

A Java issue, I presume. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:36 pm

FabricioRocha wrote:Thank you for the tips. After a good while, tried once again to intall Livecode (6.5.2) in Xubuntu. The libpango tip really worked and I was able to install and run Livecode. The only glitch there was that I could not perform an install for "all users". The installer asked for my password but could not "start the slave installer".

After installed for my account only, Livecode seems to work fine, and even faster than its Windows counterpart.
To use the "Install for everyone" option, you must be using an account with sudo privileges.

For security reasons I do most of my work in non-admin accounts, and have seen the same issue. Rather than go to the effort of flipping over to an admin account just to install LC, I've just gotten into the habit of installing for the account I use the most.

But if you need to use LC on multiple accounts, logging into one with sudo privileges should do it. If not, let us know and we'll explore other options.
Richard Gaskin

MaxV

Post by MaxV » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:45 am

FabricioRocha wrote:Hi all,

Thank you for the tips. After a good while, tried once again to intall Livecode (6.5.2) in Xubuntu. The libpango tip really worked and I was able to install and run Livecode. The only glitch there was that I could not perform an install for "all users". The installer asked for my password but could not "start the slave installer".
There is no slave installer. The default installer install system wide links, so every user will find Livecode shortcut in its "start" menu.
FabricioRocha wrote: After installed for my account only, Livecode seems to work fine, and even faster than its Windows counterpart. Then I installed Oracle Java 7, configured the mobile support to the right directories, got the adb daemon started.

I loaded the Android stacks I have created in Windows OK. Anyway, when I tried to "test" them, I got a message "Unable to build app for testing: could not encode class bundle".

A Java issue, I presume. Any ideas on that?
Did you install JDK?
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

Return to “Linux”