Which Linux version to choose ?

Deploying to Linux? Get penguinated here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Which Linux version to choose ?

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

NBR installs fine and even runs okay on that very old system. But as much as I appreciated NBR's unusual UI for my tiny netbook screen, on a full-sized computer I found it bothersome. At the moment I've put Lubuntu back on that machine, but if it gives me any more trouble I may take your advice and give Mint a try. I hear very good things about it.

PS: Check this out - the folks at System76, makers of exclusively Ubuntu computers, are offering free stickers for Ubuntu fanbois like me:
http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9

Send an SASE to them and they send you a few "Powered by Ubuntu" stickers to replace the "Made for Windows" stickers MS insists manufacturers slap onto every machine, and they throw in an Ubuntu logo sticker to cover the Windows logo on the Special key. Nice. I may be getting a Dell laptop soon, and sooooo looking forward to covering the Win logo on the keyboard. Yeah, I know, it's trivial and petty, but it makes me happy. :)
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

doc

Post by doc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:22 pm

FourthWorld wrote: PS: Check this out - the folks at System76, makers of exclusively Ubuntu computers, are offering free stickers for Ubuntu fanbois like me:
http://www.system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=9

Send an SASE to them and they send you a few "Powered by Ubuntu" stickers to replace the "Made for Windows" stickers MS insists manufacturers slap onto every machine, and they throw in an Ubuntu logo sticker to cover the Windows logo on the Special key. Nice. I may be getting a Dell laptop soon, and sooooo looking forward to covering the Win logo on the keyboard. Yeah, I know, it's trivial and petty, but it makes me happy. :)
Heh... Xandros Linux used to include a sticker in their distribution package as well. Although the system is now running Windows XP again, the sticker is still on my old laptop that I gave to my grand daughter.

Ditto: Yeah, I know, it's trivial and petty, but it makes me happy. :lol:

-Doc-

Roybr

Post by Roybr » Thu May 05, 2011 9:40 pm

If you're looking for a desktop I'd recommend Xandros. It good for someone migratining from Redhat. Or you could try Fedora core which is a free distribution from Redhat.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm bumping this thread because we've had a lot of newcomers to this forum since the last message here in May, and some of them may use Linux so it would be interesting to learn which distro they use and their experiences using LiveCode on it.
Richard Gaskin

luxlive

Post by luxlive » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi Richard,

Well I only recently re-joined the world of LiveCode (was Rev last time I used it) and based on my minimal experience over the last month or so I would in general recommend Linux Mint. So far i have had no problems with it and LiveCode working together. For your information I use Linux Mint 11 LXDE. In general I have always found Mint better and less prone to degrading than Ubuntu on which it is based.

Kind regards,

rod
Dr Rod McCall
Interdiscplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust
University of Luxembourg
www.securityandtrust.lu

(LiveCode info: 5.0.2 Windows/Linux/Mac/Android/IOS)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Hey Rod -

Good to see you here!

What sort of degradation have you seen with Ubuntu?
Richard Gaskin

luxlive

Post by luxlive » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi Richard,

Well the first problem was issues with Wifi drivers, which either refused to work properly out of the box and required the NDIS wrapper or would work for a while then start random disconnections. This would often seem to get worse after updates - the same issue it should be said existed on Mint for while as well but on the version I mention there so far I have had no problems. However, the other major issue was the UI under the old Netbook Remix version. The UI initially worked fine but during a rather important meeting over a period of days it slowly started failing in parts for example I could not resize windows. This problem got worse and worse till in the end I could only interact with the UI (in a very limited way) via shift and tab! I have never had this problem with the "light" versions of Mint. In the end I dumped Ubuntu because of the aforementioned UI problem. I am sure it has improved since then, but that was such a bad experience it kind of put me off.

As I said so far Mint has proven to be the most stable even after many updates, something which Ubuntu could not match in terms of either small or large technical issues.

From a performance aspects (especially on my netbook) the light versions of Mint have proven excellent. I tested them once with LiveStation (an online TV viewer) and the experienced changed from endless dropped frames to very few or none. Sadly though since upgrading to Mint 11 on my Netbook some dropped frames have returned. In general though the lightweight GUI etc did have some performance benefits. I did not however compare these to any other distros, only the full size versions of Mint.

Kind regards,

rod

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 pm

I run Livecode perfectlly successfully on ALL versions of Ubuntu from 7.10 onwards. But my favourite system is UbuntuStudio (a hopped-up version of Ubuntu runnig the XFCE desktop), and at present I am running both LC 4.5 commercial and LC 6.0.1 Open Source on UbuntuStudio 13.04 for most of my development work. At my school, where I work, I have both those LC versions running on a machine running Ubuntu 12.04 for "final twiddles" to any stuff I developed at home and wish to deploy at school.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 am

In my experience works well on 32-bit Debian and Debian derivative distros (that includes Ubuntu and friends (UbuntuStudio, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu), Mint and Elementary OS).

Return to “Linux”