Sigh, menus are still a problem

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

John
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Sigh, menus are still a problem

Post by John » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:04 pm

One of my long term frustraitions with LiveCode was its handling of menus. When version 5 was release I was more exited about the reported menu fix than the speed boost on graphics. The speed boost should be nice but I currently use another package when speed is important. Major disappointment. Although it seems as if the constant hassle of resizing the stack may be fixed a nastier bug has crept in.

In a built app, when you move from card to card with a transition the menu bar monentarily appears and the stack contents shift while the transition takes place. It looks very bad and there is nothing I can seem to do to fix it. We were way better off with the bugs that were there than the one we just got.

RunRev, PLEASE find a proper solution for handling menu bars. The concept you are using is fundamentally broken and has been a problem for years. This is not a trivial issue as most application do have a menu bar. Perhaps you should revisit the basic mechanism or concept you are using rather than trying to put a band aid on it.

Is it just me or are others having problems as well? Sorry for the rant but this is and has been a major, unresolved, frustration for years.

Thanks,
John

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Sigh, menus are still a problem

Post by Dixie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi John...
John wrote: In a built app, when you move from card to card with a transition the menu bar monentarily appears and the stack contents shift while the transition takes place. It looks very bad and there is nothing I can seem to do to fix it. We were way better off with the bugs that were there than the one we just got.
Can you post an example of the problem you have with the transition ?...

be well

Dixie

John

Post by John » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:11 am

I put together a quick stack with two cards (attached). Each card has one button that goes to the other card with a "dissolve fast" visual effect. Menu Builder was used to place the default menu bar on the stack. When the stack is running, if the click the button you will see it shift down and the menu bar become visible as it goes to the next card. I am running Lion.

Thanks,
John
Attachments
test.livecode 2.zip
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:10 am

Hi John…

Don't see a problem here… no button movement, the menubar is visible all the time, but there again you have not tried to hide it… It seems to me that this is the way it works.. :-)

be well

Dixie

John

Post by John » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 am

Dixie,

Perhaps the issue has to do with the target I am building for or the version of LiveCode. I am specifically targeting OSX and running on a Mac (there should be no menus visible on the card) and I am using version 5.0 of LiveCode. I don't know if this is the same setup you are using. As far as I know, I should not have to try and hide the menu bar in this configuration as LiveCode attempts to do this for me. It does hide the menu bar except unless I go to another card. When I do, the menu bar becomes momentarily visible and the contents of the card shift to accommodate the now visible menu bar on the card. After the transition is complete the contents of the card shift back and the menu bar disappears. This is new behavior in version 5.

Thanks for taking a look,
John

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 am

Hi John, I tried downloading your program to take a look (I'm running OSX on a Mac) but it tells me the attachment is no longer there?

Thanks

-- Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

Return to “Mac OS”