Anyone else Developing on WinXP sp 3 for OSX?

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

BarrySumpter

Anyone else Developing on WinXP sp 3 for OSX?

Post by BarrySumpter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:00 am

Hi,
Beginner here.

Trying to get a super simple Hello World app to run on WIndowsXp sp3 and MAC OS x.

My first attempt ran properly on Windows and web but not on any of the three version of MAC OS x.

My second attempt ran but would NOT work properly on WIndows nor the web.

Can anyone on WindowsXP SP3 create a super simple "Hello World" and upload here for me to test with?

Thanks in advance.
All my best,
Barry G. Sumpter

Deving on WinXP sp3-32 bit. LC 5.5 Professional Build 1477
Android/iOS/Server Add Ons. OmegaBundle 2011 value ROCKS!
2 HTC HD2 Latest DorimanX Roms
Might have to reconsider LiveCode iOS Developer Program.

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Anyone else Developing on WinXP sp 3 for OSX?

Post by wsamples » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:46 am

Barry, just create a new mainstack and drag a button onto it. Right click the button and select "edit script". Add the line 'answer "Hello World!"' between the 'on mouseUp' and 'end mouseUp'.

Script will look like this:

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
answer "Hello World!"
end mouseUp
Save your work. Go to "Standalone Application Settings" in the file menu and select the platforms you want to build for. (You don't need to select PPC under OS X because it's not going to work on your MBP with its Intel processor.) Save your settings. Go back to the file menu and select "Save as Standalone Application". This will ask for a save location and then build your standalones.

You wanted "simple" and this is simple. There isn't anything to fail. To make the Mac version work, though, you will probably have to make it executable once you've installed it on the Mac. To do this, select the app's icon, bring up the contextual menu and select "Show Package Contents". Open the MacOS folder inside "Contents". There you will find a file with whatever name you gave your app. Open Terminal and type "chmod +x" and a space and the path to this file (or drag this file into terminal). Press "Enter". If you did this correctly, your app is now "executable" and will open when you double click its icon.

An alternative would be to install Livecode on your MPB and rather than build your standalone in Windows, transfer the stackfile you've created in Windows to the Mac and build the Mac standalone on your MBP. This will eliminate any need to explicitly set the executable bit under OS X. The current licensing scheme will allow you to install the IDE on both Windows and Mac.

I have never worked with the web plugin. Currently there are browser compatiblity issues with it as well as Livecode version issues which may give trouble.

You will find interesting tutorial material and lessons in the Livecode Developer section of the website.

Try this:

http://runrev.com/developers/lessons-an ... nferences/

Good luck :)

BarrySumpter

Post by BarrySumpter » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 am

Wow!

Thanks so much for that verbose reply.
I certainly appreciate the time and effort.
What a great example of support.

I was hoping that a .LiveCode project confirmed by another developer would uncover my problem.

Worked your suggestions step by step and same issue.
I spent a lot of time yesterday chasing down the variations on chmod commands to see if something more. Nope.
+x would just leave it as Unix

But instead of installing LC on MBP I just uninstalled and reinstalled on Windows.

Now all is working correctly.
WinXP, all three mac versions on MBP, and web on both.

It was the stand alone application settings that was the problem.

Inclusions:
Select inclusions for the stand alone application - ticked
everything was unticked and unselected.

Should have had the
"Search for required inclusion when saving the standalone aplication"
ticked.

I'm sure it was me trying to find out if my LC 4.6 trial version would allow me to compile to the different platforms.

I had unticked and unselected those items and thinking that each new project would revert back to original settings.

Bad luck.
I'm hoping I haven't exhausted my interest enough to stop persuing this MegaBundle.
Last edited by BarrySumpter on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my best,
Barry G. Sumpter

Deving on WinXP sp3-32 bit. LC 5.5 Professional Build 1477
Android/iOS/Server Add Ons. OmegaBundle 2011 value ROCKS!
2 HTC HD2 Latest DorimanX Roms
Might have to reconsider LiveCode iOS Developer Program.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Barry-

Glad it's working. Do note that the standalone settings are saved as a custom property of *each stack* individually, so adjusting them for one stack won't affect a different stack you're working on. If you create a new project and want to make standalone applications with different settings from the defaults you'll have to adjust the settings for that stack and then save the stack. I almost always use the "search for required inclusions" default setting - I think there's only one time when I've had to specify a different setting.

Return to “Mac OS”