Livecode and Lion

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jrioux

Livecode and Lion

Post by jrioux » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:11 pm

After several years in hiatus, I'm considering re-working a couple of apps for submission to the Mac App Store. Looking at the release notes for Livecode 4.6, I see that its support for Mac's upcoming system, Lion, is "experimental". Looking at the new "gesturing" enhancements to Mac OS, I think it would be worthwhile to get the advance version of Lion from Apple and incorporate gestures into my desktop apps. But I do not want to upgrade to Livecode 4.6 only to find that I cannot take advantage of the enhancements to Mac's OS when they arrive (summer, they say). Has anyone used Livecode 4.6 in conjunction with Mac's new OS?

Then there's the matter of submitting a Livecode app to the Store. Recent threads indicate some problems there... in fact, I didn't find a reference to anyone who has successfully submitted a desktop app to the Store. Anyone?

andyh1234

Re: Livecode and Lion

Post by andyh1234 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:09 am

I think with relation to OS X Lion, it would be difficult to comment without violating Apples agreements for developers.

Im sure it is ok however to state you can get access to Lion as as part of the developer programme that includes the tools required for a Mac Store submission, so it is not too hard to try Livecode on the new OS to make sure it works for you, and hopefully RunRev can add any new features Apple may support in the new OS for the release.

As for the App Store, I can confirm we have an app in there. Its not too hard once you get your head around the submission procedure and hopefully this will also get built into Livecode as it is for iOS apps.

jrioux

Post by jrioux » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Many thanks.

My Lion question had more to do with what Livecode can do than with anything that would be covered under an NDA, but I've never had to deal with one before, and I suppose caution is called for.

wvtbon

Post by wvtbon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:32 pm

I installed Mac OS X 10.7 Lion yesterday on my macbook pro. So far Livecode is working good although I ran into one problem so far. The software does not show the printing dialog anymore. I have a routine in which I the user needs to choose the paper orientation and printer. The function:

revShowPrintDialog true,true

does not seem to work.

ivodijkgraaf
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by ivodijkgraaf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 am

Also in Lion with XCode 4.2 Developer Preview it is impossible to select a "Location of developer root for iOS 3.2 and above" in the Preferences dialog under "Mobile Support".
It is impossible to test any iOS applications with the iOS Simulator or to build any iOS applications.

Advise NOT to install OSX Lion if you are using LiveCode. It currently does not work.

Installing any other version of XCode under Lion is not supported.

andyh1234

Post by andyh1234 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 pm

The version of xCode for Lion cannot be used for submission to the app store anyway yet.

However, if you have the appropriate permissions from Apple to download the pre-release it is possible to upgrade to Lion and use it, and use Bootcamp to set up a second partition which you can install Snow Leopard on, along with Livecode and the older xCode so you can still compile, test and ultimately build for the app store, but have the advantage of finding out how your apps work (or don't) with Lion.

kcwvc52

Post by kcwvc52 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 am

here it states that you can use livecode with lion. I'm baffled by this cause it doesn't work.
http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/?page=2

it states "LiveCode is excited about the advance announced by Apple at WWDC. We are proud to be Lion and iOS 5 compatible and look forward to integrating the exciting new features announced yesterday into future versions of LiveCode"

i had to update to lion and can't get any simulation to work. this is really frustrating? anyone have any suggestions?

doobox
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by doobox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:03 am

I am in the same boat here. Unable to get live code to accept the root developer folder as a suitable sdk.
I have now got the public release of lion on my dev machine, and the latest public release of x-code as of today.

I am gutted as i was due to submit an app today, and without the simulator, i am a little stuck, for any dev work.
Has anyone successfully got the simulator running with the latest x-code and lion...?

[EDIT] i also have livecode 4.6.3
Kind Regards
Gary

https://www.doobox.co.uk

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:12 am

Hi guys,

I can only recommend to send mails to:
support@runrev.com
until you get some satisfying answers!

Best

Klaus

andyh1234

Post by andyh1234 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:04 pm

The only way I got things to work is by setting up a copy of snow leopard on a second partition and booting into that.

It works, but it is not an ideal solution.

kcwvc52

Post by kcwvc52 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm

by now means is that an ideal solution xcode hates to be moved. i contacted support yesterday before i posted here. i haven't heard anything back. i would have held off until monday if i would have known this was a problem but as i said before that official livecode blog said it was compatible. This is a horror story!!!

doobox

Post by doobox » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:38 pm

I dropped them a line also. So hopefully they offer a fix or a workaround soon.
Kind Regards
Gary

https://www.doobox.co.uk

cenglish

Post by cenglish » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I am looking to upgrade to Lion, but ofcourse weary now that I've read through this forum. I have just upgraded to Livecode 4.6.3, and was going to install Xcode 4.1 from the Mac App Store, but it says that Lion is required in order to do so. Can anyone verify that Livecode 4.6.3 is not working with Lion and Xcode 4.1 specifically? I noticed someone said they were using the 4.2 Preview, but I was wondering if anyone was having problems with Xcode 4.1 or even 4.0.2 for that matter. Thanks

andyh1234

Post by andyh1234 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:07 pm

After I upgraded the only part that is not working for me is the iOS simulator, everything else works fine.

Normal Mac and Windows apps are not affected, and its still possible to build a standalone for iOS and test it on a real device, but you can't click on the 'test' button as that is always greyed out.

You can still go into the disk utility and get it to partition your disk to take say 30gb away from the main drive and install Snow Leopard on that partition. That way when working on iOS apps and wanting to use the simulator you can restart the Mac with the option key held down and boot into Snow Leopard and test, develop etc. Its not perfect, but its a temporary solution until the test button is working in Lion.

I put my code in a dropbox folder so its accessible from my desktop and laptop, so in this case its also easy to make it accessible in both Lion and Snow Leopard.

Andy

kcwvc52

Post by kcwvc52 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:13 pm

i just ran a few more test. livecode is not working with the simulator in lion. i was able to test my app on my ipad just fine. this is a bit annoying but i'm not doing any serious coding. i'm just adding a manual inside my app and adding minor bug fixes. i have not tried to deploy for distribution but it should be working fine. other things to make note of is that the mouse scroll inside livecode does not work with lion? Its very weird. i would like to add that the scrolling doesn't work with the magic mouse inside livecode. it works fine with a regular mouse

Return to “Mac OS”