Mac to PC compatibility

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

KT0312

Mac to PC compatibility

Post by KT0312 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:32 pm

I am working with a colleague who's trying to learn LiveCode; she uses a Mac, whereas I use a PC. As a starting point, I e-mail her one of my existing LiveCode programs (which she was able to open and edit). However, she recently tried to e-mail me her program (so I could look at the script to help with an issue she was having) but I was unable to open it. I can download and save the program, which then shows up on my computer with the LiveCode icon. But, the program is empty (i.e., no stack, no cards, can't pull up the application browser, etc.) When I open LiveCode to try to manually open her stack, I get an error message that says "there was a problem opening that stack: file is not a stack". Long story long, when I send her a file (PC to Mac), she can open it; but when she sends me a file (Mac to PC), I can’t open it. Is there any way that I can open (and then subsequently edit) a default LiveCode file that she sends me? Thanks in advance for the help!

Klaus

Re: Mac to PC compatibility

Post by Klaus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:01 pm

Try to ZIP the stack before sending by email.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 pm

KT0312 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:32 pm
When I open LiveCode to try to manually open her stack, I get an error message that says "there was a problem opening that stack: file is not a stack".
If that is the message, along with Klaus's advice, I would check to make sure your both using the same version of Lc, because the only time I see that message (frequently, because I use such old versions of Lc) is when I am opening stacks from the forum to test, usually written in much newer versions of Lc.

KT0312

Post by KT0312 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Much thanks for the advice! Turns out, my colleague was using a newer version of LC. Thanks again :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Glad you could figure it out :D

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:01 pm

KT0312 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 pm
Much thanks for the advice! Turns out, my colleague was using a newer version of LC. Thanks again :D
That's very encouraging. Thanks for posting that update.

I move LC files between OSes all day and have had no issues. Glad to see you're now having as good a time.

The version you were using, was is earlier than v6.7? I believe with that version forward the error notice when attempting to open a newer file format is now more helpful, specifically noting that the file is simply newer than that engine can handle.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Mac OS”