Changing the default liveCode application on Mac

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Changing the default liveCode application on Mac

Post by Simon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:57 am

Hi All,
Since the code jam I now have 3 or 4 unstable liveCode versions on my Mac. I would like to change the default to be the most recent stable version.
Yes, I have gone to Get Info and done the "Change All" but it reverts back to LC 7. Only by deleting LC 7 does it drop 1 version down LC 6.7.
I really don't want to delete all the versions above the current stable version but that seems the only way to do it.
Yes, I've tried "Open With" and that does work but too much work. "Open With > Other" works just for that stack.
Drag and drop on an alias? Blah.

Thanks for any help.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Changing the default liveCode application on Mac

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Simon,

First of all, you can select a stack file in the Finder, choose Get Info from the File menu and choose the preferred version of LiveCode in a menu in the Info window.

Additionally, I have a little donation ware, which consists of an AppleScript application and a LiveCode plug-in. You can keep this application in your Dock and open it instead of a LiveCode application. Use the plug-in to determine which application is opened by the AppleScript application. This doesn't change the app that is used after double-clicking a file in the Finder.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:55 am

Hi Mark,
First of all, you can select a stack file in the Finder, choose Get Info from the File menu and choose the preferred version of LiveCode in a menu in the Info window.
Yes, I tried that but it doesn't work.
Why doesn't it work? It's in all the postings about Mac file associations. It's a simple thing, even Windows does it correctly.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi Simon,

I don't know why it doesn't work. Sometimes I have the same problem. You can try to rebuild the LunachServices database. You can find the executable lsregister at System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/. Press shift-command-G and copy-paste this path. Drag lsregister into your terminal window and press return to see some info. DO rebuild the database, you can use

Code: Select all

.../lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
It is probably good to read something about this before doing the rebuild. I don't know if there are any risks involved.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

bn

Post by bn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Simon,

I have the same problem. What I do is to open the Livecode version I want from the Finder "Recent" Menu. If you only have one Livecode version open at a given time, double clicking on a stack in the Finder will launch the stack in the opened version of Livecode.

When testing different versions of Livecode in parallel I open stacks from the "Recent" menu in Livecode. If the stack to open is not yet in the recent menu in Livecode than I drag it to the dock.

Not really that much of a problem.

Kind regards

Bernd

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:25 am

Thanks Mark and Bernd,
I feel better it's not just me doing something incorrect.

Simon

Return to “Mac OS”