standalone not launching in Mavericks

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Davidashe

standalone not launching in Mavericks

Post by Davidashe » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:55 am

I have an app that works when run as a stand alone on 10.8 and works within LC on 10.9 but when I try to run the standalone on 10.9 the app icon jumps up and down in the dock for a long time and then stops but the app doesn't launch.
I have tried remaking the standalone with LC 6.1.2 still doesn't work on 10.9

Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on during the standalone launch that could be causing my problem?

Thanks

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: standalone not launching in Mavericks

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:41 am

Hi,

This could be a permissions problem, but that's not very probable. You could try to do a chmod 755 though.

Do any of the scripts in the startUp, preOpenStack, preOpenCard, openCard, openStack and other handlers that run when the stack opens contain AppleScript code or a reference to a file on disk? Those would be the first issues I'd check.

What about unsigned apps? Does the security control panel allow for running unsigned apps?

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Davidashe

Post by Davidashe » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
None were the cause of the problem.
Finally found the issue.
In the copyright notice field (in the stand alone settings) I had an ampersand. 10.8 (and lower) were happy with this; however, 10.9 rejected it as an error and it stopped the app from launching.
I changed the "&" to "and" and it works.
Strange bug, but now sorted (for me).
RunRev might want to implement a restriction on the Info.plist when creating a standalone, and strip out offending characters?

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi,

That is really weird. The copyright field in the plist file accepts any UTF-8 string. If you really want to use an ampersand, just make your own plist from an earlier standalone, edit it and save it in UTFT-8 format.

It is good to know about this problem. I often use diacritics and special signs in the copyright field.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

garthcat

Post by garthcat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:33 pm

I found the same problem with the name of the standalone. Using an ampersand prevented the application from running under Mavericks.
So my time and expense billing software called Activity & Expense Tracker now has to be named just Activity Expense Tracker.

Best Regards, Garth

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Good to see you here, Garth. Did you file a bug report on that? If so, what's the RQCC #?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

garthcat

Post by garthcat » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:26 am

Before I figured it out I wrote to support but never got a response. Oops, I just checked again and did get a not very helpful response. I will respond to that email. I have not filed a bug report.

I'm betting that all versions of Revolution/LiveCode have the same problem, and that this is a Mavericks issue.

hangzhouharry

Post by hangzhouharry » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Excellent Find. So glad that LC still works on the new OS!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:27 pm

They probably won't know about the issue until it's been reported to the bug queue, so I just submitted a report on this:
http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11394

Please feel free to submit any additional details there that may be helpful for the team to address this quickly.

Going forward, please consider submitting bug reports directly to the RQCC once a repeatable recipe has been identified.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Mac OS”