Anoying editing problem

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

DukeUK

Anoying editing problem

Post by DukeUK » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:09 pm

I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this problem but it is driving me mad.

The problem only happens with Livecode.

Working in the IDE is fine but if I then click in the script editor to add or alter something, even though the cursor is blinking away there , its not working there but still on the card I thought I had left.

So if I try to delete a character for example it deletes anything that was selected in the IDE. Bearing in mind the Undo button isn't one of Livecode's greatest achievements, I'm at the point of having to save what I'm working as a new file at millisecond intervals.

If I wait and click in the code editor again it all works fine, but my brain must be hardwired not to do this.

I'm running Livecode 6.0.0 on OSX10.6.8 but the problem is still there on older versions.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure whether its Livecode or OSX or what, but it does it in all of the stacks.

Mag
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Anoying editing problem

Post by Mag » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Making clear what it's selected and what "just appears" to be selected it's not the greater feature of LC IDE-Script Editor-Dictionary... :)

PBH

Post by PBH » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am

Working on Mac OS X 10.7.5 and 10.6.8 with LC 5.5.5/6.1 and I don't see this problem at all.

I think I recall somebody (possibly Richmond) saying there was an issue with one of the early LC 6.0 releases, so updating your install may resolve the problem.

http://forums.runrev.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Paul

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 pm

The earlier problem, which has disappeared in the latest release, was that the script editor field would be selected like an object if you had the edit tool active.

I have never seen what Duke describes, but the behavior sounds a little like a handler is running in debug mode, and you can't edit when that's happening. If there's an abort button (blue square) at the top of the editor then that's the cause. If not, just click in the editor to give it focus.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:49 am

Have you ever deleted an interface element unintentionally? Well, this probably happened to you because you thought that the selected item was another (for example a text in the Inspector palette).

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:48 pm

I probably have accidentally deleted an object but I can't remember. The default color for the selection handles is really hard to see. Years ago I changed the color in prefs to black, and now there's no problem knowing what's selected. If you want something even more visible, make it bright red or something. I think the problem will go away if you do that.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

DukeUK

Post by DukeUK » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Well thanks for the tips. I’ve tried a few things but with no success.

I’ve updated Livecode to version 6.0.2 (build 1521) which is the latest in my download area (apart from the rc and dp versions).

I’ve made sure my OSX is up to date.

There isn’t a blue square in the editor either.

I’ve also tried it on my MacBook which is running OSX 10.7.5 and I’ve got the same problem. However if I create a new stack on that, it seams to be OK.

So I can only assume I’ve broken something somewhere, (it comes quite naturally to me) so I’ll try deleting things one by one to see if I can find out what it is.

I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 pm

jacque wrote:I probably have accidentally deleted an object but I can't remember. The default color for the selection handles is really hard to see. Years ago I changed the color in prefs to black, and now there's no problem knowing what's selected. If you want something even more visible, make it bright red or something. I think the problem will go away if you do that.
Hi jacque, maybe my experience was bad just because Undo in that particular situation didn't do it's work :)

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Now I changed the selection color from gray to blue, and all seems better. Thank you jacque for the tip.

Return to “Mac OS”