Answer file weirdness

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

stecxjo
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Answer file weirdness

Post by stecxjo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:58 pm

If I use the following command, the dialog box does allow the indicated file types to be imported once the relevant menu item of the popup is selected:

answer file "Use the pop-up button below to choose the type of file to import, either text or tab:" \
with type ("Text Files|txt|TXT" & cr & "Tab File|tab|TAB")

But if I try to use the follow, I cannot import a .tab file at all because they are disabled in the list:

answer file "Blah blah blah" with filter "Tab, *.tab"
answer file "Blah blah blah" of type "Tab|tab"

What's up with that? I would like to offer the user a chance to import a tab-delimited .txt file -- saved from Excel, for instance -- or the similar text file output from FileMaker Pro (.tab).

--Steve

Klaus

Re: Answer file weirdness

Post by Klaus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Steve,

## answer file "Use the pop-up button below to choose the type of file to import, either text or tab:" with type ("Text Files|txt|TXT" & cr & "Tab File|tab|TAB")
works here on my Mac!?

You need to use the option button at the bottom of the dialog to select TXT or TAB!

Best

Klaus

EDIT:
You can avoid the option button at the bottom of the dialog when you put everything into one line:
answer file "Use the pop-up button ..." with type "Text or Tab Files|txt,tab|"
Et voila, both TXT and TAB fiels can be selected immediately, no need to select only one of them at a time :-)

Return to “Mac OS”