'answer file of type' not working on Leopard

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Martin Koob
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

'answer file of type' not working on Leopard

Post by Martin Koob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:45 pm

I am developing an application using Mac OS X 10.4 and am now testing the standalone on Leopard. My application has its own document type and the following code doesn't work in the standalone running under 10.5. (It works fine in Tiger)

Code: Select all

answer file "Select a file." with (the pdefault folder of stack "preferences")  of type "XvLw" as sheet
The sheet does display and I can navigate to the folder containing my document but the document is greyed out and can't be selected. If I double click on the document from the finder it does open in the application correctly.

BvG

Post by BvG » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:55 pm

The "answer file with filter|of type" form is deprecated, so i can't give you tips on that. I always use the "answer file with type" form, in your case like this:

answer file "Select a file." with (the pdefault folder of stack "preferences")  with type "Description|xml|XvLw" as sheet 
where xml is a suffix (as in "file.xml"), and XvLw is a mac os file type. Note that mac os file types only work if the file actually has a resource fork (see the resfile keyword in the docu on how to set it).
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

One further question about the type values. The first value you put is 'Description'. What is this used for and what should you put here.

I did not see the word 'Description' anywhere in the file dialog.

Is this text that I use to describe the type of file or is it a predetermined value for each type of file?

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 pm

Martin,

Try

answer file "Select a file." with (the defaultFolder) with type "Description|xml|XvLw" or type "All files|*|*" as sheet 
(Note that I'm using the defaultFolder for testing).

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:32 pm

Oh I see how that works.

If there is just the one type in the command it will not show anything in the file dialog.
if I have the two types then there is a pull down menu called 'Enable:' with the two options, in this case 'Description' and 'All files'

Thanks to both of you for your help on this.

Martin

Return to “Mac OS”