Printing cards on Windows XP/Vista

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Peter Scheurer

Post by Peter Scheurer » Tue May 29, 2007 8:56 am

Printing Cards on OSX never makes any problem, but on XP or Vista sometimes the first 2 or 5 cards are printed, sometimes all cards are printed and often Revolution crashes. I tried about formatforprinting, copying the cards to another stack, open and close the stack from wich I want to print, but I can not find a serious way for printing cards.
On the cards are fields with htmltext an graphics positioned by a script.
(Revolution 2.8.1 built 470 on Vista busines)
Peter

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi Peter,

Can you post more details? Can you explain step by step how you are printing, including all relevant scripts, and can you give a minute description of what you are printing?

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Peter Scheurer

Post by Peter Scheurer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 am

Hi Mark

I'm printing by changing the content of one card which is the only card of a substack. This card contains about 50 fields with 5 different widths. Before printing I set the htmltext of some fields with variables. I get the formattedheight of these fields to calculate the space and pages.
After open printing, the htmltext of the first 5 fields is set. Now I set the formattedheight and the loc of these fields. This is repeated until the space of this page is used. "Print card" is now send and this is repeated until all pages are send to be printed.
Finally "close printing" sends all to the printer. Runrev crashes on Windows, before the "close printing". This is why, there is not a useful bug report.
Runrev crashes "only" when using 2.8.1 on Windows XP or Vista. It doesn't crash when working with 2.7.4 or working on OSX. Runrev crashes after some cards (about 3) have been created but before the "close printing". I could work around with close printing after each two cards, but this would be a bad workaround i.e. when the user prints to a pdf writer.
Shure I can send you links to the scripts and stacks if you'd like to have a look to these files.
Peter

Return to “Windows”