Sockets on Windows (Vista/XP)

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dzervas

Sockets on Windows (Vista/XP)

Post by dzervas » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:27 am

Hello,

I am using Runrev 4.0 on Mac.

I have made an application which uses Sockets to control a hardware system via a network connection.
This system has an API which I call using socket commands, I open a socket, send some text command and close it.

It works very well, both through the IDE but also as a standalone application from the MAC.

If I switch to windows and use the Windows .exe generated by Runrev 4.0 ... it just does not work...
I am wondering if this is a limitation for sockets functionality when in Windows.
(Tried with Windows Vista but also XP).

Thanks for your time.

Regards

hyperrev

Re: Sockets on Windows (Vista/XP)

Post by hyperrev » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

dzervas,

Just a thought... The Windows environment has to be so heavily protected because of attack. Everything gets locked down with Fire Wall and protection packages. I know on our Corporate boxes we use Symantec End Point protection, and we cannot even map drives between machines without disabling it. Is it is possible your ports are locked down by settings or is there some other indication that leads you to believe it is something else?

Terry
Revolution is a good thing - Rev Enterprise, Windows environment mostly

massung

Re: Sockets on Windows (Vista/XP)

Post by massung » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:26 pm

You may want to try running your app as an administrator (I'm not a big Windows user, but I believe this is done by shift-right-click -> Run As... the application icon) and see if that makes a difference.

Jeff M.

Return to “Windows”