Menubar on Windows

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bd525

Re: Menubar on Windows

Post by bd525 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:51 pm

Oops, I should have noted that the problem just noted only occurs on Mac. Both menu items show on Windows.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:08 am

bd525 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:47 pm
As long as I have this expert attention, though, a final (for now) issue: The menubar menus only show one item. Here's the properties pane for the first one:

Menu Properties Window.png

Two items, but only the top one shows when the menu is clicked.
I hate to be one of those "RTFM" dudes, but this is a good case where reviewing the User Guide on menus would help.

The short version:

To accommodate the differences between Mac and everything else, the last two items of an Edit menu should be a separator line ("-") followed by "Preferences...".

On Mac the LC engine automatically removes the last two items, rendering Preferences in the Application menu. On Win and Linux they remain in place, per the guidelines for those platforms.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bd525

Post by bd525 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:51 am

I hate to be one of those "RTFM" dudes, but this is a good case where reviewing the User Guide on menus would help.

The short version:

To accommodate the differences between Mac and everything else, the last two items of an Edit menu should be a separator line ("-") followed by "Preferences...".

On Mac the LC engine automatically removes the last two items, rendering Preferences in the Application menu. On Win and Linux they remain in place, per the guidelines for those platforms.
Duly noted, and thanks. The problem was the single-word menuItem "Quit". Mac, apparently, doesn't like that. Changing it to "Quit Tonal Assistant", as I noticed is the practice in other Mac apps, made the difference.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:01 am

I was thinking of the wrong menu, but the same idea is in play. You should see a menu item with that name in the Application menu. Adding the item as "Quit" lets LC move it automatically and not render it in the File menu (older macOS versions used to put that in the File menu, but that was back a ways).

See page 176 of the User Guide for details on that and related automatic menu adjustments to handle macOS' unusual needs.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Windows”