How to create a RAM disk in Livecode

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

karmacomposer

How to create a RAM disk in Livecode

Post by karmacomposer » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:01 pm

I have the need to create a ram disk to do functions out of prying eyes. How would I programmatically create a ram disk in windows using Livecode?

Thank you.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to create a RAM disk in Livecode

Post by dunbarx » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:08 pm

Hi.

Wouldn't it be easier to encrypt your standalone?

Craig

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:15 pm

Funny enough, this is after decrypting a file and then wanting to display it (pdf) in a browser control but I do not want to save the file to a hard drive first. It works if I save it, but my desire is to open it in memory, display it and then close everything without ever writing an actual decrypted file to a hard drive

Mike

stam

Post by stam » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:00 pm

karmacomposer wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:15 pm
Funny enough, this is after decrypting a file and then wanting to display it (pdf) in a browser control but I do not want to save the file to a hard drive first. It works if I save it, but my desire is to open it in memory, display it and then close everything without ever writing an actual decrypted file to a hard drive

Mike
Would it be a problem if you saved to disk and then deleted it programmatically?
Typically specialFolderPath("temporary") would be used for something like that...

S.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:22 pm

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:00 pm

I have a solution, Mike. But Klaus is a colleague I've known for more than two decades, and I can't in good conscience lend my expertise to a situation that is harmful to him.

Please resolve the matter with Klaus, and when both of you confirm a mutually-satisfying solution has been arrived at I'll be happy to help.

In the course of my career as a contract developer I've also been invited to act as a non-binding mediator on a few occasions, to help negotiate matters like this. I would volunteer to do so here via private email if that would help.

But by whatever means, this situation has continued for years now, and it needs to be resolved.

It needn't be resolved here. These are LiveCode support forums, and should remain so. Personal matters are best resolved through private channels.

You're both earnest professionals and I'm confident a solution can be arrived at. Please contact Klaus and make arrangements. Thank you.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:17 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:00 pm
I have a solution, Mike. But Klaus is a colleague I've known for more than two decades, and I can't in good conscience lend my expertise to a situation that is harmful to him.

Please resolve the matter with Klaus, and when both of you confirm a mutually-satisfying solution has been arrived at I'll be happy to help.

In the course of my career as a contract developer I've also been invited to act as a non-binding mediator on a few occasions, to help negotiate matters like this. I would volunteer to do so here via private email if that would help.

But by whatever means, this situation has continued for years now, and it needs to be resolved.

It needn't be resolved here. These are LiveCode support forums, and should remain so. Personal matters are best resolved through private channels.

You're both earnest professionals and I'm confident a solution can be arrived at. Please contact Klaus and make arrangements. Thank you.
As I said in another post, no one has all the info and there is no way Klaus will admit to it, but he overcharged us by a HUGE sum of money with no warning that was not agreed on ahead of time. We paid plenty of money for code I literally had to re-write because what he wrote broke my code. He did not understand what we needed fully at the time and had to do things his way, not ours. In the end, it all had to be scrapped and re-written from the ground up.

To make matters worse, I had a car accident where we rolled 5 times and was hospitalized - so I had to re-write all of this while extremely injured. To say this is a sore subject is an understatement.

At the moment, I am broke. When I am paid by some clients, I will likely pay Klaus $100 to shut him up already.

I am done with all of this. Everyone may think that Klaus is an angel, but he's not.

Mike
Last edited by karmacomposer on Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Windows”