need advice on best version

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jstewartathartford

need advice on best version

Post by jstewartathartford » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:09 pm

I played with RunRev a few years ago and am returning to it with version 5.5.3 on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to make a LC product that will introduce human rights activists to my wife's SERFIndex that accesses the social and economic rights fulfillment of different countries. I find that I need a video player and have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do this and think it is impossible with this old version of RunRev and a newer version of windows that cannot run Quicktime. I hope to deploy to windows and/or the web... maybe Android. Could I do this with the Community version? (I did contribute to the kickstarter :)
Thanks, Jay Stewart (retired educator)

bogs

Re: need advice on best version

Post by bogs » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 pm

jstewartathartford wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:09 pm
I hope to deploy to windows and/or the web... maybe Android.
Could I do this with the Community version?
Although I am very pro earlier versions of the IDE, I would say you could do this easily with the 7.x to 9.x branchs, especially on Win10.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:48 pm

Well, apart from the fact that I feel extremely dubious about what "rights" might be
(dicky social constructs at best):

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-rights.htm

I would suggest that one of the best ways to choose which is the best version of LiveCode
to use is NOT to worry about Windows 10, but to worry about the sort of operating systems
are being used by the people to whom your wife wishes to deploy her finished work.

The best way to do this is:

1. Find out from your wife about her target demographic . . .

2. Do some reading over here: https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

You will see that each recension of LiveCode has a "ReadMe" pdf document attached, although, to be honest,
I have not been able to find out about minimal system requirements for versions.

jstewartathartford

Post by jstewartathartford » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 pm

Thanks for the comments. i will try the Community version 9.0 or so. As for rights being a social construct, I am a sociologist, so no dispute from me, but that doesn't mean they are not worth fighting for. As a sociologist of science, I would also believe that scientific facts have a bit of social construction, but lets not go there here.
John Stewart

Return to “Windows”